The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: YADD DSC decoder works

Although its no substitute for a proper marine MF/HF DSC watchkeeping receiver or ICOM 801/802 YADD (Yet Another DSC Decoder) does a pretty good job of decoding DSC (Digital Selective Calling) even from weak and noisy signals. See http://www.ndblist.info/datamodes.htm for download etc.

It is a Windows program and I had tried it on my Mac under Wine with no joy as it couldn't access the sound card. I tried it on Nx 0.5 and it "just worked". I ran the setup exe file under the wine file manager, then found the exe and ran that. (Not yet mastered making a short cut). The sound card worked on the default setting. I had my ham radio, and Icom 706 connected via a USB cable (this is a USB to serial connected to the CI-V jack to control the radio) and I just had to select the COM port (which was mapped automatically, typing comports at the termial window revealed what number com port) and the default hex address of the ICOM 706 which is 48 by default. A also had a audio lead from the "accessory" socket of the radio to the microphone jack of the computer.

It happily sat there scanning all the MF and HF DSC frequencies decoding and logging messages all night.

I have a Funcube dongle (with an HF down converter), which might be a less power hungry than the ham radio if I can get it to work. Also it seems to use quite a lot of the computer's processing power, but it is a rather old and modest computer.

Post subject: Re: YADD DSC decoder works
Site Admin

Nice tool. Will be included in the next Navigatrix ISO.

Post subject: Re: YADD DSC decoder works

David wrote:
Nice tool. Will be included in the next Navigatrix ISO.

Thanks. I see its there now.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024