The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Old laptop

My computer decided to go for a swim. It didn't fair so well. Fish are now swimming in the screen.

Ok now for the problem... I pulled out an old laptop that was stored away. To my delight it still fired up. I decided to do a hard disk install. Everything seemed to go well until I tried to reboot. I now get the following error...

Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..OK

I waited for about 15 minutes and nothing else happens. Then when I put the USB drive back in I get...

Searching for boot record from USB RMD-FDD..OK
ERROR: No configuration file found
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Old laptop

The bad thing about trying to breathe new life into machines that were on the shelve. Just the shock of being turned on might bust a gasket....three days later dead...and you're the last person to touch it.

The first part sounds like it missed a bootloader.

Was this setup as a single OS machine?

The second part is more perplexing. Why would it work; and a half hour later--not work?

This does make much sense, but did your BIOS change?

Was this setup as a single OS machine? -Yes it had windows on it.

The second part is more perplexing. Why would it work; and a half hour later--not work?

This does make much sense, but did your BIOS change? - Yes I changed the BIOS to recognize the USB drive first. When it moved the hard drive down it changed some settings. It has a list of settings and was originally set to user. When it moved down it went from user to detect automatically. I've tried going back to user but have the same problem.

Thanks Moe,

Tim

Look for a switch in a panel or under a floor mat of the BIOS to get back to the user config, rather than automagic.

It appears the cold/hard...not enough battery to keep the CMOS alive, default settings need to be coaxed to treat the USB as a USB and not a floppy.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024