The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Navigatrix for Macbook

Hi I downloaded the Navigatrix.iso file and have purchased a 32GB usb drive. Now what? How do proceed from here? I can't seem to find any information for Macs.

Thanks for any advice,

Rondo

Post subject: Re: Navigatrix for Macbook

If I remember the history, there was Navigatrix for Macs a few years ago even though nobody on the crew had one. A Mac would float by and somebody gave it a shot.

The problem was another model required another configuration. A third model required a third configuration.

Aside from a sporadic Mac user there was no expressed interest in donating time, money, material to keep development moving...this is the prime reason you can't find information.

:roll: This is the downside of being a Mac user. It always seems to be that the applications (or in this case, OS) that I want are not available. :(
After 15+ years of windows machines and 3 years of my Mac though, I will say this... I will never go back. 8-)

Similar here... After 15+ years of windows machines and 3 years of Navigatrix, I will say this... I will never go back. :)

Why not just pick up an older computer, such as a Panasonic CF-29 or CF-19 and use it as a dedicated Navigatrix box? They can be had for around $200 and work quite well with the Linux/Lubuntu flavour that navigatrix is customised to. You could also load Virtual Box for Mac and run navigatrix inside that environment: https://www.virtualbox.org/

Morning,

I'm using a Tough book CF 18 and a Mac. @Cause we need a backup.
Installing Navigatrix on the Mac side of your Book desn't work to my knowledge.
I do have, also for backup, a Windows partition on our Macbook.
Once you have introduced your Windows partition via Bootcamp you can proceed to install Nx by the book.
Meaning you have to install the blog manager which comes with the installation files.
It will install on the Bios startup once you choose to start the windows partition.
No sweat.
It works just the same like on my Toughbook. Just faster...

Have fun,

Atmo :D

So being not as computer savvy as I wish I were, I was really hoping that I'd be able to run this off the usb stick (in my mac) for the time being at least just to check it out. If I'm not installing on a Mac, why can I not do that? (I know I look really stupid right now) :oops:

...no more than any of the rest. Some are just more detailed in the explanation of why it won't work.

All those who know how to make it work are not here and the ability to spell 'Mac' is my limit ....so now you're king in the land of the blind.

If generic how to articles on the web about how to create a mac- bootable us stick won't do the trick, you could try out navigatrix in a virtual machine. I'm not sure about stuff like GPS mouse recognition, pactor modems etc in virtualization though.

Good luck,
Christian

Hi guys,

again, for any Mac with a Intel Processor:

Open Utilities.
Open Bootcamp.
choose size of Partition...

Att some stage you will be ask to start your windows install.

Follow the prompts to install windows... ( I'd use XP, don't worry about service packs....)
Restart...

Open your freshly downloaded Navigatrix iso file.

Just open all the exe files, they will install the Plop manager to bios.
Restart.
You will find starting your mac with the Option key pressed will give you a choice betwenn Mac and Bootcamp startup.
Choose Bootcamp . It will give you a choice on windows Bios.
Start Windows.
Install N5 on a Stick of your choice (Needs to be a flashdrive...)

Restart again with Option key, choose windows, choose Nx in Bios....

Enjoy!

Site Admin

Got my hands on a Mac Book Pro yesterday. And had no problems at all to start my Navigatrix 0.5 USB Stick on this machine.
Just put the Memory into the USB port, turn on your Macintosh and hold the "Option Key". Then choose "Windows" and voilà, the system starts right away. No further steps where needed.

Cool stuff, and thanks!
When I navigate home to Rhode Island next week, I'll fire up the old Mac and see how it goes. I'll report back and include any other hints that might be needed. Intuitively, it should work fine. I'm guessing you could even make a Navigatrix dedicated Mac-box with it installed on the hard drive. Take care and thank you very much for posting this information.
I've been plugging for Nx now on the Toughbook forums as it is quick and simple, once you get a good iso downloaded and installed via usb and/or dvd. Best regards, Cleve

Hi it's me again. :)
Well I finally got back to this yesterday. Got a little side tracked by a major refit on the ship.
Anyway, partitioned the hard drive, installed Windows 7 Home Premium and that all went swimmingly.
I guess for some reason my flash drive isn't working though. When I choose boot options, I only see Windows and Mac OSX. No Nx.
So rather than go that route, I'm thinking I will just install Nx on it's on partition. Is that an option now that Windows is on there?

Thanks

Site Admin

Quote:
When I choose boot options, I only see Windows and Mac OSX. No Nx.

If I read David's post above correctly that's how it's supposed to be:
Quote:
Just put the Memory into the USB port, turn on your Macintosh and hold the "Option Key". Then choose "Windows" and voilà, the system starts right away.

Did you already try that?

Yes, numerous times.

Well my bootable flash drive works fine. I booted to Nx on an windows laptop running windows 7.
My usb drives are visible from within both osx and windows. So what am I missing here?

Not knowing what is going on hasn't stopped me from commenting before....

Am I correct in thinking you have a Macbook with Navigatix installed as a second OS, but it is not showing up at boot time?

...because, you installed Windows-whatever after the fact, and the Windows boot loader abrogated the boot instructions for the Navigatrix?

If that is the case, there are ways to fix that.

If it's not, and just a case of not being able to boot from a USB stick on a Macbook, I'll shut up because Macbooks have bad juju and I stay away.

Ya, that seems to be the issue exactly. I have started (very carefully and cautiously) the process of creating a boot entry in bcdedit but I'm afraid.... very afraid.

I wish I knew of a way of doing it without the threat of human error looming over me because this human does tend to err.
Or, back to my former question... How to install Nx on the hard drive?

In these murky waters I hate offer a counter view, particularly since you are already engaged in a plan of action, and my advice might stuff up your machine beyond either of our ability to recover back to that optimal state, particularly with the bad juju I've already mentioned.

...but here goes;

As a general rule the last-installed OS seizes the boot sector. To grossly over-simplify the process, since the historical size of the boot sector is too small for 'modern' operating systems, it points to a full, larger, set of instruction some other place on the disk/filesystem/network.

I have no idea where it is in Windows or Macs. In the Linux world it is appropriately called /boot.

This OS specific location has the instruction set that identifies the particulars to
  • boot the system, or
  • boot to another system that has been previously identified as bootable

Let's say you don't succeed with your BCDEdit; there is nothing wrong with GRUB?

If you can boot to a Linux USB stick you can update GRUB and then setup GRUB to the Linux/Navigatrix partition.

GRUB should locate the three systems on the drive. I say should because I don't know anything about the new versions of Windows...and the juju that has me spooked.

For a number of years I didn't dual boot outside the Linux family; stuffing up the Windows partition on the last machine 4 years ago--by being clever-- I found re-formatting the partition was the only way to bury the evidence.

Actually, because I've added memory to my machines, I don't dual boot any more. For the few applications that I 'gotta have' Windows (Paul Higgins' GE2KAP) I run in a virtual machine. It saves me the tedium of shutting down and rebooting to then shut down to reboot, or not be able to switch back because some running process is still running, blah, blah, blah. I would be overwhelmed with a choice of 3 different systems.

This rambling introspection aside, what's the worst that can happen?

Do you have a backup of OSX, or the Windows systems?

Well I appreciate your input but at this point I think I'm too easily confused to start talking about a new approach.

What I have yet to figure out is why I need Windows in order to have Nx (an operating system) on a bootable stick or on its own partition.

Anyway, I have already tried to create a 3rd partition and install Nx there but then Windows got all pissy because I "changed the partition map". So I reformatted and reinstalled Windows a second time already.

If I don't need Windows in order to install Nx on its own partition, I'll gladly give Windoze the "boot" pardon the pun.

I got a sneak peek at Nx when I ran it from the flash drive on my wife's Windows laptop and now I really, really want it bad. Just not bad enough to have to touch that plastic p.o.s. she calls a "computer". :)

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024