The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Who is (succesfully) using Navigatrix on a Linux mini pc ?

On different places I see people trying to get it running. I see a lot of : do this, try that , and at the end I don know how sussesfull they were.

What I want to know is .

Did you get it working satisfactory, to be used on a long route.

What hardware do you use (Raspberry, Cubie, Beagle, Odroid, Infinite …..or other)
Do you have a list what you had to change in Linux during installation.

At the moment I have a Windows PC (Mini ITX), usb mux Miniplex with gps and Seatalk, ais on a rs232 port, two displays with a splitter. The problem is that the cable to the display in the cockpit is to long, so that I get a distorbed screen.
I want to install an extra computer just for navigation with OpenCPN, usb mux with gps, seatalk and also ais.

Who can help me, is it worth to start this, or is it better to go for another windows pc.

Rein
sy Aquaholic

Post subject: Re: Who is (succesfully) using Navigatrix on a Linux mini p

The mini PC's you specified in your post all run on ARM processors. Navigatrix is compiled for x86 processors and will not run on ARM, so no, no one has run Navigatrix on these little machines yet.

You could run Navigatrix on your ITX machine though - if you want to switch to Linux.

Also, there are several Linux- distributions available for ARM. You could install those, and then install the programs you need on top of that. Zygrib, OpenCPN and whatnot... AFAIK, OpenCPN has to be compiled by yourself, but that's not very hard to do: http://zapmaker.org/projects/opencpn-on ... processor/

Please note, although you probably could get wine to compile under ARM, the Windows programs that one would be running with it are certainly compiled for x86 and wont run on the ARM computers, so no airmail on the Raspberry Pi.

HTH,
Christian

zenfunk is correct regarding ARM processors, and also that Navigatrix works well on mini-tx motherboards. (I use a mini-itx.)

Is the distortion from the distance being too great, or something else?

As distance increases the bandwidth decreases, but, shooting from the hip, most sailboats I'm familiar with are within the realm of acceptable distance unless you are attempting something extreme (DVI or USB) and insane resolution.

Thanks for your advise. I will install a second mini-itx closer to my screen in the cockpit with Navigraphix on it.

Rein

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024