The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: How to create a bootable USB stick

Hi Guys, I am about to change over totally to Linux Ubuntu and now I have stumbled over this nice system. I would like to try Navigatrix and I would like to have the program on a bootable USB stick. I have one with 16Gb that I intend to use for that. I have downloaded the ISO image of Navigatrix and it resides somewhere in the Ubuntu system. Now I want to create the bootable USB stick but I am at a loss how to proceed. Can anyone help me here to explain STEP by STEP how to do this?
Thank you in advance,

Chris on S/Y Sea Otter

Post subject: Re: How to create a bootable USB stick

On the left side of this page you'll find the solution for Linux OS :
download.php
Fair winds,
Phil

For those who don't use Ubuntu, the best alternative I've found is to use the isohybrid utility from the syslinux package to convert the Navigatrix ISO to a "hybrid mode" format that can be booted from USB devices which the BIOS sees as HDDs

Code:
$ apt-get install syslinux
$ isohybrid navigatrix.iso

After that, you can dump the file to the USB stick:

Code:
$ dd if=navigatrix.iso of=/dev/your_usb_device

I had a bit more trouble going that route...I couldn't boot at all.

To make a boot USB from scratch; that happens to be located at /dev/sdb; I execute:

Code:
sudo syslinux -i /dev/sdb1

to add the bootloader

Code:
sudo dd conv=notrunc bs=440 count=1 if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb

to add the master boot record.

(Notice the bootloader went on to sdb1; whereas the MBR went to sdb.

The machine responded:
Code:
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
440 bytes (440 B) copied, 0.00609754 s, 72.2 kB/s

I then set the USB to be bootable:
Code:
sudo parted /dev/sdb set 1 boot on

It told me:
Code:
Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab. 

...which I can ignore.

At this point in the process my once very blank USB automounts to /media/something_or_other

I then give it something to boot up. I already have a mount point at /media/cdrom so I thought I would just use that.

I mount the ISO
Code:
sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop /home/wadda/ISO/navigatrix.iso /media/cdrom

...pointing to the location I keep the file.

Then I copy all the data over to the USB that has auto mounted itself to /media/and_a_unique_ID_number that I located through the file manager.
Code:
sudo cp -a /media/cdrom/* /media/10E9-0493/

Since the FAT32 filesystem is not sophisticated it kicked out many errors telling me that permission could not be transferred and that the operation was not permitted....not to worry. They can be ignored as well.

However, I didn't pre-set the configuration file, or it's location when I installed the bootloader. It is looking for it in the default location with the default name.

I have to move (rename) them.
Code:
sudo mv /media/10E9-0493/isolinux/isolinux.cfg /media/10E9-0493/isolinux/syslinux.cfg

and
Code:
sudo mv /media/10E9-0493/isolinux/ /media/10E9-0493/syslinux

Tedious, but it works when other methods fail.

...but wait! The fun doesn't stop here.

There is no persistent media on the USB. Any personal configurations/modifications will not carry over from session to session.

You can fix this by hitting the <esc> key when the blue splash screen first appears. Hit <esc> repeatedly until the blue screen turns black and stays black.

In the upper left corner will appear:

boot:

You enter fix and then hit <enter>.

This will create the persistent media to preserve your personal configurations.

Now, take a break and have a beer. This only has to be done once, or whenever you want to reset your configuration back to the original settings.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024