The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Are 'sudo apt-get update' & 'upgrade' carrying out required?

Are 'sudo apt-get update' & 'upgrade' carrying out required after Navigatrix installation on PC? As well as it is recommended procedure for normal ubuntu.

Also, please advise how to install *.deb files from the hard. I use:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i

and receive following:

Code:
andrey@andrey-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/andrey/Downloads/draftSight.deb
dpkg: regarding .../Downloads/draftSight.deb containing dassault-systemes-draftsight, pre-dependency problem:
 dassault-systemes-draftsight pre-depends on libdirectfb-extra (>= 1.2.7-2)
dpkg: error processing /home/andrey/Downloads/draftSight.deb (--install):
 pre-dependency problem - not installing dassault-systemes-draftsight
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /home/andrey/Downloads/draftSight.deb
andrey@andrey-laptop:~$

than try to perform:

Code:
andrey@andrey-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install dassault-systemes-draftsight
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package dassault-systemes-draftsight is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package dassault-systemes-draftsight has no installation candidate

please, assist

Post subject: Re: Are 'sudo apt-get update' & 'upgrade' carrying out requi

I tell you a secret.

I don't like sudo dpkg -i whatever for the same reason you've stated.

I cheat. I use gdebi-gtk to install individual packages.

For me, sometime sudo synaptic is too cumbersome for individual packages downloaded from a non-repository source.

Some folks swear by sudo aptitude, but the few times I've used it I've managed to really toast my system...because I don't really understand it.

The problem is gdebi-gtk needs an older library than the one installed in Navigatrix....so here's what you do.

Open the Package Manager and RE-install lxterminal. (...really it will make sense.)

I don't recall if you have to un-install it before you install it, but do what you need to have the (right) lxterminal .deb package on your hard.

When it's done, enter libvte9 in the Quick Search box. Select the package libvte9...i.e., highlight it.

On the menu bar select Package>Force Version...it's about 2/3 down the list.

Select 1.0.23.5 whatever.....Apply and then repeat the process to Package>Lock Version

The scary aspect is Package Manager wants to UN-install lxterminal and lxde

It's ok. you have the deb for the lxterminal and the lxde is a meta-package. Don't worry....much.

Ok, now using the package manager Search for gdebi. Select it for installation.

The package manger will install a few other axillary packages.

Do it.

This gives a GUI interface to dpkg -i that will download AND install all other dependencies you need (if it's possible) without the dependency error. A right click from the File Manager, or gdebi-gtk in the terminal will lead you to the application.

AND...just as inportant.. RE-install lxterminal. You already have it so there is no additional download.....bada-bing individual deb packages have a GUI interface installer that doesn't spit up if you don't have all the requisit packages pre-installed.

....but this is really a lesson in mindless upgrading. As we see with the libvte9, newer doesn't necessarily mean additional functionality.

Good Luck

Moe wrote:

....but this is really a lesson in mindless upgrading. As we see with the libvte9, newer doesn't necessarily mean additional functionality.

Exactly!
Thanks for detailed answer, i will try to do it!

Moe wrote:

I don't recall if you have to un-install it before you install it, but do what you need to have the (right) lxterminal .deb package on your hard.

Forgive me for this misunderstanding and question (cause english is not my original) but should i have following sequence in the actions:
1st iteration - uninstall existing lxterminal via Package Manager (PM)
2nd iteration - install new one lxterminal via PM

or:

reinstall lxterminal just in one iteration?

Thanks in advance for assistance :geek:

Detailed, but not very clear. I aslo glossed over your original question.

No, you don't have to upgrade. What works on Tuesday will work on Thursday. It will also work on Saturday and Sunday.

We've been conditioned to upgrade with the idea that *new* is better. Sometimes it is; sometimes it's just re-packaged. But most of it is to sell you new software.

In the Opensource world it doesn't follow the same business model, but we carry over the "I gotta upgrade" mentality.

Sometimes upgrading breaks things. Sometimes it breaks things that can't be fixed easily. Sometimes the upgrade just plugs a hole that...chances are you wouldn't fall in; the exposer and risk is small...but is still a hole. The software equivalent of double knotting your shoelace so that it won't come un-tied and you trip and fall on the highway...in front of traffic. It can happen. Chance that it will happen to you are slim...but it can happen. It's still an upgrade.

I upgrade all the time because I'm a glutton for punishment. I like to check out how stuff functions...or doesn't.

The boat computer. The one I use and is part of the boat....I don't touch. There are two cardinal rules on the boat;

1) Don't leave the boat when you are at sea.

2) Don't touch a working system.

Now, in regards to your other question...here's how you touch a working system;-)

When you go to install the older version of libvte9 the PM throws a fit over two packages; lxterminal and lxde.

The only practical way you can install the older version is to have those two packages NOT be on the system.

The easiest way to accomplish this is is to just intall the older version and the PM will tell you that it will be removing those two packages.

After you've installed the forced version, re-install lxteminal.

For me...I always like to have an imporant package downloaded before I force its un-istallation and plan on re-installing it.

You can take your pick...either way lxterminal AND lxde (the meta package) will becoming off.

You can decide if and when you want to put back the terminal. The meta package isn't essential....for that matter, neither is the terminal, but it's handy.

Good Luck.

Thanks Moe, I've return to considered question now when have been faced with reality to completely shift myself to Navigatrix :D, before i used 10.10 in parallel.
So, I've probed advised, but found that i'm...so, "not enough" yet :D either English or Linux knowledges. My magic actions with Package Manager got it off, so it won't appeared again :mrgreen: than lost terminal - tool to install/uninstall anything....than reinstall and download DraftSight for Windows and install it with wine. So, now the question is, may be stupid, but it is, - either it is single way to attain wine directory via nautilus only or there are some another opportunity?

Thanks in advance!

it looks harder than it is...I'll write something up.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024