The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Problems on boot with Navgatrix.

Dear friends,

Im triying to configure Naviagtrix for boot from an external USB HHD.

I have already installed it in the HDD external, but now I have the following troubles.

If I boot from stick with perisitent file Navigatorx runs OK.

If I boot from USB external HDD (as first boot priority) the system hangs, just a - on the top left corner of the screen.

If I boot from USB external HDD, but as second option, giving priority to internal HDD, the system shows the two operating systems (Navigatrix and W Vista)

If I choose Vista, the system goes to the recovery tool for Vista, not starting normally.

If I choose Navigatrix, the system shows the blue Navigatrix screen but after, indicates:

/dev/sdc1 doesnot exist, dropping to a shell.

If I edit the boot on the screen for choosing OS, this is:

recordfail
savedefault
insmod ext2
set root='hd2,1)'
search--no floppy --fs-uuid --set (Hexdecimal string)\278
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.9-dsp root=/dev/sdc1 ro max_loop=32 quiet \splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.9-dsp

If I boot witpout any USB device teh sustem answer:

erro: no such dvice: (hexadecimal string)
grub rescue>

There is any way to launch VISTA without using the recovery tool (that will format the disk), and start again, may be this time allowing the co-existance of both OS. This time I have formated the external HDD for exclusive use of Navigatrix.

Many thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: Problems on boot with Navgatrix.

Oh, boy...let me see if I get this straight.

You have a machine with Window Vista.

You wanted to install Navigatrix on an external hard drive.

You thought you have done that...but now when you boot the only thing that really works is the USB stick?

Assuming I understand the situation, and to save some time, I'll make an assumption.

This assumption is that when you installed to the external hard drive it was connected to the machine along with the USB stick. When the boot loader was installed it made the external drive the first drive and the internal drive became the third drive...because the USB was in the mix and most likely #2....so, when it goes to boot the external drive is now the second drive and the internal is now the first drive...and the USB is no longer in the counting system and you're missing the third drive (/dev/sdc) . ( I don't make the rules. They just make me dizzy.)

The machine doesn't know which way is up and can't find the location/information to do anything. Vista, on the other hand thinks everything is screwed up and want's to start over.

If my assessment is correct your boot loader is pointing to the wrong drive. Your Master Boot Record is messed up.

Take a look at http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=304....

There is a reference to the GRUB Customizer

https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

This is a useful program. It is the easiest way to modify the boot loader I have found. Download it to the USB stick.

Install it on the stick with:

sudo dpkg -i /home/$USER/Downloads/current_name_of file.deb...or where ever you download it to...

When it's finished installing go to:

Ray>Preferences>Grub Customizer

This will then recognize that you are running from the USB stick and ask you some questions. Read the questions and answer them appropriately.

Remember your internal hard drive is /dev/sda and the external is /dev/sdb...or /dev/sdc depending on when and how it was connected to the machine.

Read the prompts.

If you're in doubt what drive is which, open a terminal, another terminal if need be and enter:

df

This is just a simple little program that tells you how much space is available in your file system. But it will tell you which drive is which.

However, if the external drive is /dev/sdc and the stick is /dev/sdb; the next time you boot without the stick the external become /dev/sdb. Make your adjustment appropriately and accordingly.

If you don't want to go through the boot loader every time you turn on your machine you will have to fix your master boot record to just be Vista only. There are tools on the internet to do that. I just don't have any off the top of my head.

Unfortunately an external hard drive is not technically a "hard drive" installation. It is a USB installation. The "Make a copy for a friend" option would have been a preferred route...but that's water under the keel.

Let me know if this straightens you out.

Thanks a lot.

I'm stil having problems, see the answer when I trying to install the software:

Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/nx/Downloads/grub-customizer_3.0.2.tar.gz
nx@nx:~$ home/nx/Downloads/grub-customizer_3.0.2.deb
bash: home/nx/Downloads/grub-customizer_3.0.2.deb: No such file or directory
nx@nx:~$

.gz is the suix encountered when downloading. I have tried with .deb as well.

Any advice? thanks again, Moe

To save time and tears you need the .deb file.

If the internet connection allows there will be the grub customizer attached to this post.

Execute:sudo dpkg -i /home/$USER/Downloads/grub-customizer_2.5.7.1-0ubuntu1~ppa1l_i386.deb.doc

...and before I forget.

After you have done your selections;

File>Save

File>Install to MBR...

Attachments:
grub-customizer_2.5.7.1-0ubuntu1~ppa1l_i386.deb.doc [401 KiB]
Downloaded 475 times

...on the other hand; check out http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ ....because it would drive me nuts to go through GRUB to just use Windows.

From what I gather this might put you back at square one...and then you can try again;-)

I don't know your situation, but I moved my Windows partition to a small corner of the drive and made a dual boot...actually three way boot.

I only use the Windows partition to create Google Earth charts from this handy little script found here: http://www.gdayii.ca. Paul and friends did a nice job. Unfortunately this process is not currently possible in the Linux world.
Attachment:
-dev-sda - GParted_023.png
-dev-sda - GParted_023.png [ 49.98 KiB | Viewed 26007 times ]

Thanks a lot...I will make a try in a while...

No worries. It might be a while before I get back...I'm going to fall off the face of the earth for a few weeks.

Sorry Moe, testdisk could be a solution to recover the W Vista boot?

Thanks a lot

Josep

As I recall testdisk will lay down a MBR that Vista does not like. I don't know.

I pretty much stopped messing with MS Windows after XP. I was injured with Vista in a blunt head trauma and have kept my distance ever since.

It could have been I just botched fixing it. That the problem with learning while doing....If you're lucky you realized the next step would be an irreversible rather than realize it was the last one....

You've written GRUB to your internal hard drive.

The problem is that it was pointing to the wrong drives after a reboot because of a screwy, but logical, drive naming scheme. (The '/dev/sda....b....c" thingy.dependent on their position on the bus.)

You can fix GRUB by booting to the only system you have bootable and installing a usefully little tool.

If this path works you will have 3 systems bootable (Stick, Internal, and External...or 2 Navigatrix, and 1 Vista....depending how your count.

High margin of success...plus side benefits. If this works you can then decide if you want keep this handy little tool that allows you to easily modify GRUB and do other fun things should you decide to to keep 'it' and GRUB ( for what ever reason).

If it doesn't work; what's the worst (within reason) that can happen? You've already altered MBR with GRUB (which normally works). You loose a little time trying to fix something that has a low incidence of failure. Minimal exposure to adverse consequences....

I'm unclear if you have the Microsoft CD/DVD, or hard drive partition with the tools to restore the MBR to a Windows -only- machine. I've read conflicting material. Yes and No possibilities.

Some techies think there is only the MS-CD/DVD way.

Other's say No, you don't need *THE* CD/DVD, but you need *A* CD that can be downloaded from any number of links that may, or may not work.

And lastly there are those who say, NO CD required....but you need the files on your 'data recovery partition'....that some folks don't even know is sitting there on their internal drive taking up space.

It might be that testdrive can repair Vistas so it can locate the bootloader. But then it might just make the drive mountable so you can access it via the command prompt...and the tools to fix Vista if you have the CD/DVD, separate data restore partition, or 3rd party application like EasyCDB....I don't know.

Sorry Moe, which little tool? I do not see any in the message

I have a recovery VISTA system in the HDD and is bootable. The problem is that not allows me a repair, just a format of the disk and clean installation

I have burn and original Vista recovering CD (legally bought from MS) but always the GRUB comes and seem impossible to boot from the CD.

I have tried testdisk, it seems thats works, but how I can delete the GRUB partition (partition 2), that seems that is the problem that not allows the use of the CD?

Thanks a lot and sorry to keep you so occupied

I was referring to the Grub Customizer as the handy little tool. The other tools are bootrec.exe; fsdisk; or EasyCDB where applicable.

No worries... I wanted to get this fixed in a tearfree fashion.

It sounds like the messed up GRUB makes Vista want to fix itself...but it's messed up and doesn't allow it.

I think if fix GRUB that desire will go away.and make it possible.

If it doesn't you have lost nothing.

If you use another methods to remove GRUB by brute force, or over write the MBR with something other than GRUB, or the Vista version you set your self up for an obligatory re-install.

If you can access the command prompt of the Vista system I heard that "bootrec /fixmbr" will do the trick.....I also heard that "fsdisk -mbr" does the same ....but that's just what I read and i'm fuzzy on details.

...uh, sorry, I overlooked your "Space" problem by jumping the last post.

Boot the Navigatrix stick.

When the BLUE screen first become visible hit the escape key until

boot:

...appears in the upper left corner on a black screen.

Enter:

fix<enter>

This will create the space you need to unpack and install the Grub Customizer.

To further increase the root and home partitions on the LiveCD versions you need to edit syslinux.cfg.

Search the forum for "Big stick" setup.....sorry I've got to run. I'm checked out of the country and leaving in about 8 hours.

Well, some more tries....

With Synaptics the gru-c package is already install, but no way to reach it.

I have tried to to pen grub menu.lst but is only a blank test.

Could be that the problem? meaning that grub is protected?

Have a nice day and thanks again!

You might be trying too hard...and trying to many "same things"...or conflicting things.

I took a freshly made Navigatrix stick and installed Grub Customizer from a download directory.
Attachment:
Grub_Customizer.png
Grub_Customizer.png [ 63.51 KiB | Viewed 25942 times ]

...granted it's not sudo dpkg -i /home/nx/Downloads/grub-customizerwhatever.deb

....but it's the same thing.

I install it and voilà! It's in the menu.
Attachment:
Grub Customizer Menu.png
Grub Customizer Menu.png [ 65.21 KiB | Viewed 25942 times ]

This is a stock Navigatrix install on a 4GB USB Stick. I did add the "Shutter" package and dependencies to enable these screenshots....but to install and run Grub Customizer the rest is just off the shelf.
Attachment:
Grub_Customizer_LiveCD .png
Grub_Customizer_LiveCD .png [ 50.13 KiB | Viewed 25939 times ]

You don't need to reboot...it should just be there....ready to go to work. The Grub Customizer will disappear if your did not "fix" your persistent file system?

Additionally you will need to think this through. Your "root" partition will be the external hard drive (/dev/sdb...most likely).

Read the screen. Install to /dev/sda....your internal drive.

Thanks a lot Moe,

well it seems is still not working.

At the end should be quicker make a clean installation of Vista and start again!

In fact is just the time to do that. I have saved all information stored on the HDD.

I wiil come back when done, to do the rigth things from the beginning, with the aim to install Navegatrix in a external HDD.

Thanks a lot again!

Josep

It wouldn't be the first time I've re-installed.....

I'm guessing you want to have the external drive with Navigatrix and when you want to use the system you'll plug in your external drive....

If this assumption is correct, the part you want to look out for in Step 8 of 8. In the lower right corner is an "Advanced" button. It will open up a window for bootloader options.

You'll will want to un-tick the little box for "Install Bootloader"

Attachment:
Install_001.png
Install_001.png [ 48.42 KiB | Viewed 25930 times ]

The BIOS will be changed to boot from an external if present. This way your Vista system won't even know it has company.

Good luck.

Thanks Moe,

Now the Vista is running, but needs to have the external HDD branched to boot. Without, Grub rescue comes again.

Adttionally, MI PC do not shows the external disk. If I use the Disk Administrator manager, is there and the bootable partition is C: in internal HDD.

This will be solve with your previous' post indications?

D'ont worry about the reinstallation, all data were in D: partition that is fully operative in Vista, Is just time consuming for installation of navigation software under Vista, as spare system until we siucced on the Navigatrix installation.

Have a nice sleep!

This is where the Vista commandline "bootrec /fixmbr" command comes in. Check with those folks for further info.

If your machine doesn't have a separate category for external drives in the BIOS the same setting that allowed you to boot from the stick will (should) work.

This is all to avoid needing the external plugged in just to boot....

Thansk, Moe,

no, in my machine I can boot from ay device using F2 to modify BIOS or F12 to select boot device, There is not a problem.

In any case, the screen that you indicates, donot appears, perhaps due to that the re-installation comes from the internal rescue HDD.

Any how, when I boot I hace three maodalityes:

From Navigatrix (External disk)
Windows NT/2000 (mark as dev/sd1. In that case, they goes to re-install again.
Windows Recovery Enviroment (loader) on dev/sd2. Then the syetem boots on Vista.
Editing this entry whith GNU GRUB (is allowed in the screen) code are:

savedefault
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,2)'
search --nofloppy --fs-uuid --set 9cb8cc5cb8cc3714
drivemap -s (hd0) $ <root>
chainloader +1

Really the persistant fie is a persistant one!

Could we modify the MBR from here? or perhaps using the disks administrator from Vista?

Thanks a lot for your help! I don think that it was so costly, but funny at the end!

Josep

The last screenshot was in the Navigatrix installation process. If you are not (re)installing you won't see it.

My understanding is Vista has a tool to fix the mbr. It's called bootrec.exe. What I've heard is from the Vista command line you enter bootrec /fixmbr. How you get to the Vista command line is beyond me.

What you are looking at is the GRUB instructions to go to what is essentially your "D" drive. It's located at /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Your MBR points to this file that contains those instructions.

If you are up for a little experiment, at bootup, not the file, change

set root='(hd0,2)'

to

set root='(hd0,1)'

This says your root is now what is essentially your "C" drive.

Hit <enter> and see if it fires up into Vista without the recovery mode.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024