The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: file list/layout

My XP computer refuses to boot off the USB so I burnt a DVD but although set to boot from it, it looks at it but then still boots off the HD. (XP)
I've looked at the files on the disk but I don't know what is supposed to be there. Doesn't appear to look like a boot disk to me. What is the NEEDED files to bootup?
BruceS

Post subject: Re: file list/layout

OK, I see the problem I think. I can't just copy the USB drive to a DVD.......
Regardless I did get the USB to boot up.
Now I just to find a map for my area to see if this program will do what I want it to!! (Not many maps floating around though!)

Your assessment is correct. You can't just copy files over to a DVD.

You need to make a bootable DVD from the ISO.

Now, how you do this is a mystery to me. There use to be an application called Alcohol 120 that was available for Windows users. I don't know what's currently available. However, you can check http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/burnisofile.htm for addition insight and info.

Regarding charts....I don't know where you are, but in the US charts are behind Door Number 1 http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/download_agreement.htm

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh, additionally....there is a script put together by Paul Higgins and friends that will take Google Earth images and geo-reference them for use in OpenCPN. You can find it at http://www.gdayii.ca.

Unfortunately Google Earth does not allow this same functionality in the Linux world and this script will only work on Windows machine.

I've found these geo-referenced images to be spot on and use them to provide additional info to the charts. You don't have any bathymetry, but frequently can judge depth by colour.
Attachment:
e-chart-1.png
e-chart-1.png [ 261.38 KiB | Viewed 10833 times ]

Attachment:
e-chart-google-overlay.png
e-chart-google-overlay.png [ 326.47 KiB | Viewed 10833 times ]

Thankyou so much Moe for your help.
I've got access to pretty much all of the maps I want although they are not in much detail for Australian waters.
I'll look into the details on how to create the bootable DVD for the 'linux' install like for the USB drive.
The Google Earth overlay looks good........... if you have internet access where ever you may be!
I will keep you informed of my progress & discoveries along the way.......

Yeah, I know about the OZ chart problem, I'm currently in Coff's Harbour. While the Kiwis make their charts available on the net (you just have to geo-reference them, or find someone who has), the AHS wants a pretty penny. WA's DOT also sells their charts of WA. But you might want to check out Seafarers GeoTiffs. I currently have limited (time and MBs) internet access so you will have to search on your own. i also think someone somewhere has the charts ready to go... It's just a question of finding them.

For example,http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/publications/maps.html

I think you can geo-reference these Seafarers GeoTiffs of the OZ charts yourself with the tools that are already in Navigatrix. I'll be looking at them myself when I get a better connection and and not stress by the clock ticking.

...but the beauty of the GE geo-referenced images is you don't need net access at the time...only when you create the chart.

...sorry, Bruce, looks like a bum steer on the seafarer's

If you have a mixture of types of charts (formats), will the program auto change if you travel across types?
I'm OK for maps thankyou... (for now)
Which direction are you heading? Nth I'm guessing?

All formats that OpenCPN recognizes can be used simultaneously in a "quilted" fashion.

You make them available in the Tools> Charts section and depending on the scale you're using there will be different coloured rectangles in the lower left of the window. You can specifically select or remove any chart that's available.

I like the "Preserve Scale" and "Display Chart Outlines" options so I can see where one chart begins and ends...and I can switch from one to another without jumping scale.

....actually going south. Sydney before New Year. Currently awaiting the Southerly Change to pass.

And you?

Moe I'm not a sailor as such........ My next door friend has his home built yacht & has been having shocking problems getting the old Cmap program to find his Com ports (USB) so I've been busily looking at all the alternatives for him. (plus other niggling problems... 256 colours etc)
To date this one fits the bill.
He just returned to the SE of SA single handed from Albany without his normal navigation system working.
If you get around this side of our island make sure you look us up?

Albany to SE SA without...he doesn't need a navigation system.

The nice thing about Navigatrix is 99.44% of the time everything works. Just plug it in; it works. Most of the software tools a person needs on a boat are there and they just work.

Another nice feature is it is dang near indestructible. If you, or someone, messes with it until it no longer works, by executing a command on bootup it will fix itself back to shrink-wrap fresh.

Good on ya' for helping your neighbour.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024