The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Problem with the compilation of a new driver

I'm testing the navigatrix 0.4 with the kernel 3.0.9-dsp and every time I type "make" for the creation of a drive, I receive the this error:
make
make -C /lib/modules/3.0.9-dsp/build SUBDIRS=/home/servei/Downloads/fsam7440-0.4 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.9-dsp'
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.9-dsp/arch/x86/Makefile:39: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.9-dsp/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.9-dsp/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.9-dsp'
make: *** [default] Error 2
root@navigatrix:~/Downloads/fsam7440-0.4# Write failed: Broken pipe

Do you know the solution to this error?
Thanks and best regards

Post subject: Re: Problem with the compilation of a new driver

I thought I'd give it a whirl. I failed.

The Makefile_32.cpu file missing appears to be a bug in that generation of linux-headers...and versions around 3.0.9.

I took a look at the file in packages earlier and later and found little difference. The difference that would affect Navigatrix user only apply to those people who have AMD Elan (trivial; needs specific mention of 486 arch) or Geode GX1 cpus (pentium-mmx workaround) and want to compile.

I have neither and borrowed a copy. I ran into a fatal error centred around line 188-9:

ent = create_proc_entry("radio", S_IFREG | S_IRUGO | S_IWUSR, dir_base);

Code:
/fsam7440.c:188: error: too many arguments to function ‘create_proc_entry’

So I go on the net to find a pre-compiled module and see what happens
Code:
FATAL: Error inserting fsam7440 (/lib/modules/3.0.9-dsp/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/fsam7440.ko): Invalid module format

I look to see where it hangs up plugging into the kernel.
Code:
FATAL: grab_module() failed for module /lib/modules/3.0.9-dsp/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/fsam7440

Now I'm not a kernel person nor do I know much about functions to create; read; and write proc_entry...let alone how to fix a grab_module. I went to the README file that came with the source code for the 7440.
Quote:
The Amilo M 7440 don't use a only-hardware switch, it need
a software driver that making calls to turn the radio off/on.

This module (Kernel 2.4-2.6) allows change the status of wireless
card's radio on Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M 7440.

I can only surmise that the kernel has changed enough from 2.6 to 3.0.9 that the proc_entry that is trying to be compiled is too big (or significantly different enough) for the current kernel.

That being said....have you tried rfkill? A built in function in the newer kernels.
Code:
root@Baboo:~/Downloads/fsam7440-0.4# rfkill block wifi
root@Baboo:~/Downloads/fsam7440-0.4# rfkill list all
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
   Soft blocked: yes
   Hard blocked: yes
1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
   Hard blocked: no

As you see, wireless is turned off both hard and soft blocks
Code:
root@Baboo:~/Downloads/fsam7440-0.4# rfkill unblock wifi
root@Baboo:~/Downloads/fsam7440-0.4# rfkill list all
   Soft blocked: no
1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN

...turned back on. rfkill --help for more info. sudo rfkill --help if you're currently not root.

Give that a whirl and see if it does what you want.

Certainly the command rfkill is present in this version of Navigatrix, and it is possible to list, block and unblock the soft wireless LAN, but I haven't been able to unlock the hard wireless LAN, that's always blocked.
Well I will wait to the new Navigatrix release that probably will incorporate a newer kernel without this bug.
Another possibility is to work with an usb wifi card supported by this kernel.
Thanks and best regards

sincronisme wrote:
Certainly the command rfkill is present in this version of Navigatrix, and it is possible to list, block and unblock the soft wireless LAN, but I haven't been able to unlock the hard wireless LAN, that's always blocked.

If it is a hard block then your solution isn't a software solution. Hard blocks are hardware switched.

Frequently there is a On/Off Switch on the machine in the form of a real switch or a Function key that usually consists of simultaneously pressing the <Fn> and another key.

What is your output when you run the the rfkill command?

rfkill list
root@Veler:~# rfkill block wifi
root@Veler:~# rfkill list
root@Veler:~# rfkill unblock wifi
root@Veler:~# rfkill list
root@Veler:~#
As you can see, the command works but is not capable of unblock the hardware.
As you wrote in your first answer:
"The Amilo M 7440 don't use a only-hardware switch, it need
a software driver that making calls to turn the radio off/on."
Thanks for your answers.
Regards

Sorry, I read that as there is a not only a hardware switch, but a software switch that needs to be turned on.

For me this means that there is a hardware switch and a software switch to turn it off/on.

I just wouldn't call a switch that is controlled by software a hardware switch, nor can I understand why an engineer would design two software controlled switches (beyond the BIOS)....and call one hardware...thus the vagaries of language.

You might try ndiswrapper and the gui gtk-ndiswrapper to use the Windows driver to see if that would resolve your hard block.

Or...if you really want to throw stuff at the wall to see if it will stick, in an Amlo forum ( http://www.amilo-forum.com/topic,403,-It-is-not-possible-to-turn-on-the-wi-fi-card.html ) there was some talk about updating the BIOS....

Quote:
I then downloaded the bios-flashing program from the downloads section at the fujitsu siemens website here:
http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/ ... loads.html

and this did work.

The link is dead, but an updated BIOS can be found at : http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/download/ShowFiles.asp

That is after going the menu selection of make and model of a gazillion different laptops.

http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/download/Showdescription.asp?SoftwareGUID=47786700-D681-4918-878F-85868BFF9847

Although I'm skeptical because I also read elsewhere that someone posted without the kernel module "all the button pressing in the world will not allow you activate the adapter."

....ya' never know.

Good luck.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024