The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Source Code

From where and how can I download the Navigatrix source code?

Jim

Post subject: Re: Source Code

What is not already in the ISO is available from the individual application authors. For example OpenCPN's code is available from the folks at OpenCPN.

There is no source code available for Airmail, WxTide, or PolarCom. They are not open source. I requested the source code from the author of Airmail a few years back. The dog must have eaten the email because I didn't even receive a bugger off reply.

If there is something specific that you can't find let me know and I'll help you look, but first take a look in /usr/share/doc and any of the gazillion README files for further information.

To save you a bit of time I just yanked the first one the cursor landed on:
Code:
Release Notes

Thank you for your interest in this release of AbiWord!

About AbiWord

AbiWord is an "Open Source" word processor.  To learn more about the concept of Open Source, you should look at <http://www.opensource.org>.  Because AbiWord is Open Source, it is freely distributable and available for use by anyone, without restrictions.  With AbiWord, there is no need to worry about piracy.  We encourage you to make as many copies as you like and to give them to your friends and colleagues.

Note that AbiWord is not "shareware".  You are under no moral or legal obligation to pay anyone for the right to use this program. If you are not familiar with this kind of software, please rest assured that there is no catch.  AbiWord is free, and it will always be free.  It is developed in a public fashion, by members of the software community from all over the world, communicating and collaborating together via the Internet.

Getting Help

There is some documentation at <http://www.abisource.com/support/>. However, due to the lack of time and people to contribute to the documentation effort, it is far from complete, and does not cover all features, including many of the new features available in the 2.x release series. Another, sometimes more useful place to get help is the AbiWord user mailing list <http://www.abisource.com/support/help/maillist.phtml>. Users are strongly encouraged to join the mailing list in order to ask and answer questions freely.  Please keep discussion limited to AbiWord related subjects.

Also, IRC provides a more real time medium of communication, and can elicit more immediate response, depending on who's online and responsive.  See <http://www.abisource.com/support/help/irc.phtml> for details.

Helping

If you would like to join the community of people who are developing AbiWord, there are lots of ways you can help, even if you are not a computer programmer.

If you are in fact a programmer, and would like to work on the project, see the developer information on our web site, join the abiword-dev mailing list, and ask what needs to be done.  There are always features or ports which need attention.

Be aware that because the site does not receive too much attention, <http://www.abisource.com/developers/> is obsolete in some areas and you will probably find the developers on list and IRC more helpful.

If you are not a programmer, you can still join the AbiWord Developer mailing list and contribute in other ways.  The easiest way to help is to simply use the program and report any bugs you find.  A tool called Bugzilla is available on our web site for exactly this purpose.

Contributions can be easily made in the areas of documentation, site maintenance, quality assurance (bug-checking, a little harder), and product promotion.  Whatever you're good at, the friendly folks on the AbiWord Developer mailing list are perfectly willing to find something for you to help with and there is always plenty to be done. 

We appreciate any help we receive.

Supported Platforms

AbiWord is a multi-platform application, meaning that it was designed to work well on multiple types of computers and operating systems. At the present time, AbiWord is supported on Windows NT (Windows XP, Vista, ...), Mac OS (see note below), Linux, a variety of other UNIX-like systems (including everything from Solaris to *BSD to RTEMS).  The BeOS port has been removed from the source tree as of July 8th 2005, the QNX port as of April 2008. If you can help us with any of these ports or provide and maintain a new one, you are more than welcome to. Other operating systems will likely be supported in the future.

The AbiWord port to Mac OS prior to OS X (Carbon) has been removed due to the extensive and unmet developer resource requirements.  However, the Mac OS X (Cocoa) port is still under development and according to its maintainer, has reached a quite usable state, though it is not quite on par with the Unix port yet.

Legalese

Copyright 1998-2009 Dom Lachowicz and other contributors

All Rights Reserved

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA   02111-1307, USA.

AbiSource, AbiWord, and AbiSuite are trademarks of AbiSource, Inc., in the United States and other countries.  The AbiSource logos and AbiSource product and service names are also trademarks of AbiSource, Inc., which may be registered in other countries.

Moe,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am correct that Navigatrix is just Ubuntu with certain additions and modifications. If so, is there a list of those additions and modifications?

Thanks,

Jim

It depends how broad of a brush you want to paint with I suppose....

Navigatrix is in the realm ( think principalities and powers) of the Debian/Ubuntu lineage in a similar way that Ubuntu is just repackaged Debian with a few additional bits and modification and no unified list.

There are a lot of similarities in most of these distributions....like cars. Holden is really part of GM, but also have a stake in Daewoo. They badge engineer for Toyota, Nissan, Suzuki and my Aunt Elaine. A Geo Prism was really a Corolla....it often boils down to personal taste and end use.

I don't know if there is a 'grand master list'...there are not enough resources to make one and keep it current.. One would think there would be a change list for individual projects denoting the alterations from the fork. Mostly it's bugfixes and alterations in the same project that get noted and make for dull reading.

I'm sceptical if major surgery gets more ink than, "it was gutted and rewritten"...just as rebranding frequently doesn't even get a mention other than a name change. Connecting scripts are self evident, containing both the how and the what. They might have internal comments...maybe.

But many, if not most of the differences in Navigatrix are not changes in the applications but in the way the applications are put together....

For example, Redshift, one of my favourite 'just makes life a little better' applications, is now in the Ubuntu Repository as an addon. It wasn't there when the Navigatrix developers got the duct tape and strapped it to the distribution.

But if you install and run Redshift on Ubuntu, even now your experience is the difference between night and day. Try it. Location for calculation is only provided in GNOME desktop and it's not very precise. In any other *buntu the operation is even more tedious and limited. Because sometimes it's the bailing twine and the duct tape that makes the difference....and most of that is in /usr/local/bin along with a bag of clothes pegs in /etc or /home.

Moe,

Once again thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I have been out of internet range.

Let me tell you more of my problem. I generally run LinuxMint. My normal machine, a HP Pavilion boots extremely slowly, i.e., the Grub menu takes an extremely long time to appear and then Windows or Linux takes an inordinate time to boot, apparently because they are looking for the internal SD drive and cannot find it. (I intend to have the laptop repaired when I return to the US.)

When I use a Navigatrix USB (which boots fine on my other laptop, but then asks for a password and does not accept user: nx Password <none>), I get the following error message after hitting ESC:

Quote:
stdin: error 0
-/init: line 7 can't open /dev/sr0
No medium found

That error message is repeated many, many times ending with the following message:

Quote:
(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

I was hoping to examine the source code to be able to boot Navigatrix on my preferred laptop or modify LinuxMint to use Navigatrix code to utilize bluetooth with my Pactor modem (LinuxMint bluetooth will not accept a hex pin code).

Your suggestions are solicited.

Regards,

Jim

I'll make a wager that you don't have a floppy drive on your laptop.

I'll stick my neck out farther and say that your BIOS thinks there is a floppy drive.

The Navigatrix kernel seeks proof from the BIOS that there is a floppy as reported and since it is not provided produces an error.

For whatever reason other kernels gloss over the BIOS reporting the existence of non-existent hardware. This might be a reason for the slow boot.

To make life more confusing /dev/sr0 would most likely be assigned to a SCSI/CDROM....which you probably don't have either.

However, if you disable the floppy that you don't have in the BIOS you do have; it won't set into motion a chain of events creating an error you don't want.

...in other words; disable the floppy (fdd) in the BIOS...convince the BIOS you have no floppy and the error will go away.

Anyway...that's my bet.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024