The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: [solved] use with NON PAE computer (eg. pentium m)

I used to run version 0.4 Navigatrix booting from a 4GB memory card in my Asus eeePC 701.

In order to update this card to version 0.5, I made a 4GB usb pendrive installation using a vmware machine running a virtual Navigatrix iso cd image. From this machine I ran the "Make a copy for a friend" to create the stick.

When I tried to boot the eeePC from the pendrive the program stoped in the blue manta screen, after 3 or 4 seconds of activity. The screen is not freezed as I can reboot using Ctrl+Alt+Del. It seems the system is waiting for something forever.

There is no problem with the stick as I can boot from it using plpbt.iso in vmware.

Using F1/other options/for old graphic cards I can see the begining of the kernel loading process that stops saying this kernel requires PAE and my CPU does not support this feature.

It looks like the old version used a kernel that did not required PAE but this new one does.
Is this feature realy necessary to the updated Navigatrix?
I think PAE is only required to 32bit processors using more than 4GB of memory wich is not the case.

Thanks.

Renato

Post subject: Re: cannot boot new Navigatrix in 2008 hardware
Site Admin

Pae is necessary if you like to use a computer with more ram. There will be a non pae version available soon...which eeepc do you have ? It runs fine on my eeepc 901ha

David:
My eeepc is a 701 4GB that was used only to run Navigatrix 0.4
Processor: Intel Celeron-M 900MHz non-PAE :(

Site Admin

I have a nonpae version ready .... just need to find a way to upload it ... the internet is really slow here. But if the fake-pae works, would be even better, because this way we can have just one iso download instead of maintaining two with different kernels.

Post subject: Re: use with NON PAE computer (eg. pentium m)

Well, my Celeron-M is ready to test any fake-PAE navigatrix.
I have a fast internet connection to download and the available time to test the iso.
I can even modify the actual iso to change the kernel from PAE to NON-PAE if you gave me a step by step procedure.
I don't know how to unpack/repack squash file system.

Post subject: Re: [solved] use with NON PAE computer (eg. pentium m)
Site Admin

Hello,

please have a look at the download area, navigatrix is now non-pae.

Saludos.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024