The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: noob experience in installing nx0.5 on a 16g usb

May help newbies and to document what I have done to install nx0.5, in case I have to do it again sometime!

1. Download navigatrix0.5:
note: As it is a big file (>2g), use of a download manager is highly recommended, an easy way on firefox is to use the “downloadthemall” addon

2. Download windows installer:
note: 0.5 installer is different from previous installer, new installer is 475k, previous one is over 600k

3. Follow instructions as per windows installer:
note: Do not rename the iso file, I renamed it to navigatrix_0.5.iso and have problems with the windows installer not getting pass step 2

4. All going well you should have a bootable working navigatrix 0.5 (nx05) usb that you can use with just about any pc.
note: for older pc that bios does not support usb boot, google “plop”.

5. While you now have a bootable working nx05, changes you make (e.g adding your .kap files to CPN, etc) on nx05 will not be permanent i.e next time you boot, the system will appear as if you just created a new nx05 usb. This is all about something called persistent files i.e casper-rw and home-rw, which Moe has eloquently explained in previous posts.
note:
To make permanent changes, in the 0.5 version:
a. “F1” on initial boot,
b. go to “other options” and create “persistency”
How many gigs you select will depend on what size usb drive you use (I use 4 g persistency with a 16 gig usb).

I am not sure what is optimal, perhaps someone could advise what persistency size to use for different usb sizes.
Be patient, it took over 5mins to create the persistency files for 4g (I presume it creates both the casper-rw and home-rw.

6. Now the usb is ready and what is saved will be permanent.

Welcome to correct or add any anything as necessary

Ken
New Zealand

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024