The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Boot problem with Toshiba Satellite 850

:( Hello, I have the following hardware:
Toshiba Satellite 850-BT3G22
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor
6GB DDR3 1600MHz (4GB + 2GB)
500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
2GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology
Blu-ray Disc™ ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer drive

Running Windows 8 (64 bit)

I am able to create bootable Navigatrix USB flash drives on both 8 GB and 64 GB sticks. (64 GB was tough because navigatrix-setup won't format a 64GB drive with FAT32, used a third party FAT32 formatter and unchecked "format drive" in navigatrix-setup screen).

Both sticks exhibit same symptoms:
1. Get manta ray in lower right corner
2. Blank screen for a few seconds
3. Some sort of log dump with what I suppose are time-stamps [8.584112] ........
4. Here is where it diverges:
a. if the BIOS is setup for SATA Controller mode= AHCI the boot up hangs with the following on screen: "8.584xxx] attach SCSI generic SG1 TYPE 5"
b. if the BIOS is setup for SATA Controller mode= Compatibility the boot up appears to continue past 8.xxxxx to "9.413xxx end trace"
followed by: "/sbin/modprobe unexpected exit STATUS 0x0009"
5. keyboard puts characters on screen but nothing gets it unstuck (ctrl C, crtl X, exit, .....)

Any help please???

Post subject: Re: Boot problem with Toshiba Satellite 850

Sailfisher wrote:
5. keyboard puts characters on screen but nothing gets it unstuck (ctrl C, crtl X, exit, .....)

What are the characters?

I'm taking a wild stab that your swanky nVidia is not finding a suitable module (driver).

The BIOS settings for your hard drive...I don't know. I've heard of some people having trouble on boot with AHCI being a module and not built into the kernel. Unfortunately I don't what the case is with the Navigatrix kernel.

I also don't know if failure would be fatal...which is why I'm stabbing at the video.

Try loading up the legacy video. Navigatrix can boot to a VESA video module used way back in the stone age. The idea is "when all else fails; this should work".

You high tech video should have backwards compatibility to this tried and true standard....should.

When the screen turns blue repeatedly hit the <esc> key until the screen turns black and stays black.

In the upper left corner is the word boot:

Enter:

old

and chase it with <Enter>

This calls up the VESA video and (fingers crossed) get us further down the road...if it's a video issue.

This calls up the VESA video and (fingers crossed) get us further down the road...if it's a video issue.[/quote]

Moe;
Same exact results using "old"....

1. Boot stops with unexpected exit status 0x0009,
2. last command was "/isbin/modprobe"
3. keyboard/display works (echoes keyboard characters on the display)
4. nothing entered gets any response.....

Site Admin

Please try if navigatrix 0.5 solves this issue.

Post subject: Re: [solved] Boot problem with Toshiba Satellite 850

Thank you David,

I will try with Navigatrix 0.5 after I get my #$%*! Toshiba repaired. Looks like the high tech Nvidia has crapped out, what a waste of money... :cry: :-)

Al on Sailfisher

Yeah! 0.5 boots on my Satellite 800!

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024