The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Re: Shipmodul MiniPlex USB

I am reviving this thread, which dealt with an issue getting my ShipModul MiniPlex to work. We had managed to solve this, but that was using Navigatrix 0.5 (Sept 2013). However, I have been trying to set up Navigatrix 0.5 (August 2014), which seems to be based on a newer kernel.

In doing so, my Shipmodul MiniPlex was once again broken. Applying fixes discussed earlier in the thread did not work this time. In fact, I was set further back than ever before, because /dev/ttyUSBx was never created. I traced this to the ftdi_sio driver not being loaded : lsmod | grep ftdi returned nothing. dmesg further instructed me that :

Code:
[  406.535731] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[  406.698006] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=fd49
[  406.698011] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  406.698014] usb 2-1: Product: ShipModul MiniPlex-2USB
[  406.698016] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: CustomWare
[  406.698018] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 21000900
[...]
[ 1007.725956] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[ 1007.726445] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[ 1007.726914] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[ 1007.727991] ftdi_sio: unknown parameter 'vendor' ignored
[ 1007.727993] ftdi_sio: unknown parameter 'product' ignored
[ 1007.728549] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
[ 1007.729043] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device

Thanks to several pages, including http://www.leniwiec.org/en/2014/06/25/ubuntu-14-04lts-how-to-pass-id-vendor-and-id-product-to-ftdi_sio-driver/ which put me on the right track, I found a working solution.

My installation process for the Shipmodul Miniplex has been fairly modified.
I include it hereunder for others which might have the same issue :

Create /etc/modprobe.d/usbserial.conf with content
Code:
insmod ftdi_sio

Include the following content in /etc/rc.local content
Code:
modprobe ftdi_sio
chmod 775 /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id
sudo echo 0403 fd49 > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id

Note that here I had to include a chmod permission change, since for some reason I was getting a Permission denied error that others do not seem to get.

Create /etc/udev/rules.d/98-gps.rules with content
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="fd49", ACTION=="add", SYMLINK+="miniplex", RUN+="/bin/stty -F /dev/miniplex 57600", RUN+="/lib/udev/gpsd.hotplug"

GPSD can now find the Miniplex automatically, and alternatively you can use it with the unvarying name /dev/miniplex .

Hello,
I am also trying to get my Miniplex USB working. I am not an experienced linux user.
With text editor i made a text : insmod ftdi_sio and tried to save it in /etc/modprobe.d with the name usbserial.conf
I get a message permission denied.
I understand I have todo something with chmod but What and How.

rein wrote:
Hello,
I am also trying to get my Miniplex USB working. I am not an experienced linux user.
With text editor i made a text : insmod ftdi_sio and tried to save it in /etc/modprobe.d with the name usbserial.conf
I get a message permission denied.
I understand I have todo something with chmod but What and How.

Hi rein, in most cases, you will need to edit these files using "administrator" (or "root", or "super-user") rights, and not simple "user" rights.

To do so, there are several possibilities, but one of them would be to simply execute this in terminal :
Code:
sudo medit /etc/modprobe.d/usbserial.conf

You will be asked for the administrator password, and then you will be editing as administrator : "sudo" stands for "do as super-user". For most configuration files, you will have to edit them using "sudo".

Merci à "belle-isle" pour son travail. Je viens de tester ses derniers suggestions et cela fonctionne parfaitement.

Thank's to "belle-isle" for his work. I just tested his latest suggestions and it works perfectly.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024