The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: print screen

How do I print screen and save it as an image? I tried "ctr pri scr" button and ctr V does not seem to work.
Thks,
Ken

Post subject: Re: print screen

Pressing only Print should take a screenshot; give it a name with the year, month...etc.; and then place that image, as a file, on the Desktop.

The script (/usr/local/bin/screenshot) is bound to the <Print> key.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$1" = "window" ]; then
  scrot '%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $f \$HOME/Desktop/' -u
else
  scrot '%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $f \$HOME/Desktop/'
fi
In the configuration file ~/.config/openbox/navigatrix-rc.xml are the 'key bindings'; captivating reading if you have time
Code:
<!-- Launch scrot when Print is pressed --><keybind key="Print"><action name="Execute"><command>screenshot</command></action></keybind>
or a combination <Alt><Print> for a screenshot of the active window only
Code:
<!-- Take a screenshot of the current window with scrot when Alt+Print are pressed --><keybind key="A-Print"><action name="Execute"><command>screenshot window</command></action></keybind>
Enter: /home/nx/.config/openbox/navigatrix-rc.xml in the URL bar of the web browser for a quick thrill (nx changed to your current username, if different). Enter medit /home/nx/.config/openbox/navigatrix-rc.xml in a terminal if you want to change anything.

Give that a shot. If it's not working for you we can figure out how to fix it.

Thks Moe. I was wondering what happens when u press prt scrn in Linux and now I know. I was not aware that the image was saved in the desktop screen. I seldom look at the desktop screen as I always leave my laptop on and just close the lid when I finished using the laptop. This brings me to the next question; do u need to turn the laptop off and one once in a while? I have to admit sometimes when the laptop seem a bit sluggish (esp when on the net) & when the laptop is being on for weeks with multiple internet tabs, truning it on and off seems to speed things up (or is it my imagination).
Ken

Same here...same with any flat surface, real or virtual.

If you have, or would like, a special place to stash your screenshots edit /user/local/bin/screenshot.

Change \$HOME/Desktop/ to \$HOME/my_special_place/ or \$HOME/Pictures/screenshots/, or \$HOME/whatever/

...create, or make sure the directory exists before you grab a screenshot, and you can fill it up with images of everything that is covering up your desktop.

There is a raging debate on turning a machine off when not in use to calculate the boot waiting time; energy consumption; wear and tear; etc. against options of letting it run, suspend, hibernate or some mix.

Do what you want.

The slowness you speak of sounds more like Firefox being Firefox. But I'm guessing.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024