The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Hard drive install on Panasonic CF-28???

Hi Moe,

I'm trying to help my friend Ray install Navigatrix on his Panasonic CF-28. This is an older computer. 800 mhz R3 processor, 504 megs ram, 20 Gig HD. I gave him a bootable thumb drive. It starts but is very slow. When all is loaded and the home screen is up, selecting any other program crashes the system. I think it's a ram issue? We decided to try a hard disk install and see if it would work that way. Everything was going well until it asked for the name of the computer, user name, etc. Then it crashed again. When we tried to install it again it says that the system has multiple boot sectors and wants to erase the drive. He wants to keep windows for dual boot. any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Hard drive install on Panasonic CF-28???

I'll try the same on my Cf 18 this arvo.
Let's see what happens.
I Have 560 Ram only too.
My guess the issue is
Usb speed. We have been watching movies on that machine running Nx on a stick..., so in my blondness I assume Nx is not that Ram hungry....

:roll: :D

Cheers
Atmo

Thanks Atmo!

SVKetos wrote:
This is an older computer. 800 mhz R3 processor, 504 megs ram, 20 Gig HD. I gave him a bootable thumb drive. It starts but is very slow

It could be USB1.1 rather than USB2.0.

In comparison the speed is enough to rip out your hair. A hard drive install would circumvent the slow UBS1.1 protocol.

Navigatrix needs 190+MBs. More is better in this case. An older slower processor will be laggy on the heavier application like OpenCPN or Stellarium (Planetarium).

I find the partition manipulation in the installer cumbersome. If I do "Something Else" in the installation process I'll set up the partitions on the drive beforehand with the Partition Editor.

If this machine is in fact USB1.1 it could be a long(ish) process.

Thanks Moe,

I'll check the USB tomorrow and see what version it is. I'll also see about doing an install from the CD drive.

Thanks again,

Tim

Ok,
just did a hard drive install on our CF 18.
Runs like a dream apart from Airmail/Wine problems which I had before.
How'd you go?

Cheers,

Atmo

Atmo wrote:
Runs like a dream apart from Airmail/Wine problems which I had before.
What are the problems?

Airmail doesn't run smooth as silk, but I was wondering if it was something special.

Thanx Moe,

nothing special. I thought there was a port problem with Gps input, but as you made it clear, airmail is receiving position Data "under the door".
Makes perfectly sense, since I was wondering how Airmail got different positions otherwise.
Problem still resent is the converter problem with older Pactor (PTC 2e) :)

re:
S.V.Ketos wrote:
Hi Moe,
I'm trying to help my friend Ray install Navigatrix on his Panasonic CF-28. This is an older computer. 800 mhz R3 processor, 504 megs ram, 20 Gig HD. I gave him a bootable thumb drive. It starts but is very slow. When all is loaded and the home screen is up, selecting any other program crashes the system. I think it's a ram issue? We decided to try a hard disk install and see if it would work that way. Everything was going well until it asked for the name of the computer, user name, etc. Then it crashed again. When we tried to install it again it says that the system has multiple boot sectors and wants to erase the drive. He wants to keep windows for dual boot. any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Tim

Since he wants to keep windows, I would pick up a used hard drive caddy ($10) and put in a small ide drive for the install of Navigatrix. Also, maxing out RAM should help. I think the PIII's on the CF-28 have onboard 256 and one extra slot open for another 256 chip. Doing a fresh install from the CD/DVD drive might work better than the usb and worth a try.
I'm thinking maybe you might also try the version 0.4 instead of the newest, it might play better with the CF-28.
Cheers

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024