The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: how do i uninstall a linux application?

Hi,
How do i cleanly uninstall an application? I notice most if not all linux programs does not come with an uninstall option. Is there a generic uninstall utility? How does it work?
Thanks,
ken

Post subject: Re: how do i uninstall a linux application?

Use the Package Manager.
1) Right click the package you want to remove.
2) Select if you want to keep your configuration files or remove everything
3) Apply your decision.

What could go wrong?

if what you remove has packages that are dependent on it you will be asked to remove those as well. At the simple level you don't have a choice. You remove a package and everything dependent on it or you don't.

Most of the time that is not an issue, but some packages are integrated to the point their removal means the removal of dependents guts the system.

You will be given a list of dependents it wants to remove. Look at the list and see if you, or the system, can survive without them.

Irritating results.

Depending on the quality of the package, parts of the installation might be left behind. For example, files created or modified after the initial installation of the package...sometimes data files and directories...sometimes menu entries, etc.... They can be hand deleted at your discretion.
Attachment:
Synaptic Package Manager _001.png
Synaptic Package Manager _001.png [ 113.68 KiB | Viewed 9022 times ]

Ok, it is not on a navigatrix system, but on a rasp pi. There is more to it...it is a series of interdependent installation (http://www.projects.privateeyepi.com/ho ... ff-project); involving installing node.js; and an application server among other various bit and pieces; Its all screwed up during the install and now it is affecting another application (webiopi) I am trying to install. messy...

Thanks,
Ken

Yeah, sometimes it's like adding soap to your water then finding out you need some drinking water. Yeah, you can take soap out, just add time and ability (inverse ratio of the two).

The other problem is; an upgraded package is not listed as an acceptable package required for the new package you want to install....BUT, you can downgrade to the original because the bulk of all your system is dependant on that package and it doesn't know you just want to have it put back as it was before the upgrade.

This is why I'm bald and cranky.

Checkout
Code:
man dpkg
for a listing of the files and changes that were made and how to 'fix' it.

You'll probably find it easier to start over.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024