The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Navigatrix 0.5 and the Panasonic Toughbook

I've been using Nav 0.5 for several weeks now, having stumbled upon it quite by accident. We on the ToughBookTalk forums have been trying it out and I wanted to thank you for a great operating system!
Here's the link to the forum/posting of Navigatrix that started it all for us:
http://toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1319
The Panasonic Toughbooks come with a factory gps that is on com 3 in Windows, but in Linux it is a serial connection (S2). The forums on Navigatrix helped me out a bunch and I wanted to put in a plug here for the development of the system. I just made my first donation to a community project and feel good about this one. Thanks again for all the work you do! :)
I forgot to mention, I searched high and low for a download for 0.4, I'd like to use it on an older PIII with minimal resources. Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Navigatrix 0.5 and the Panasonic Toughbook
Site Admin

Thankyou very much for your generous donation! This is really kind of you and very motivating as well ;) I still have nx0.4 on one of the backups...but instead of uploading this older version i prefere to make a "nx0.5 light"... let me see how small i can get it if i take out the additional language packs and some of the other big data. Ill let you know when its done. Otherwise, nx0.5 should be as fast as nx0.4. Its just bigger since it has more tools inside. Oh, i was reading on the toughbook forum and stumbled on FoxtrotGPS. Ill include this also for the next iso update, since its very small and lightweight as well.

Site Admin

So i removed a whole bunch of the big extra tools and the language packs... but the iso wont go below 1.9 GB... So its possible to make it smaller but not as small as nx0.4. Still i would not recommend to use nx0.4 if you have enough space on the harddrive of your older laptop. But let me know if you want it anyway and i will see if i can come up with a download link for nx0.4 within the next days...

Site Admin

I'm a happy user of navigatrix running in a CF-19 Toughbook too

Is it possible to add opensea maps to FoxtropGPS?
http://www.openseamap.org
http://map.openseamap.org

David wrote:
So i removed a whole bunch of the big extra tools and the language packs... but the iso wont go below 1.9 GB... So its possible to make it smaller but not as small as nx0.4. Still i would not recommend to use nx0.4 if you have enough space on the harddrive of your older laptop. But let me know if you want it anyway and i will see if i can come up with a download link for nx0.4 within the next days...

Thank you very much! The reason I asked about 0.4 is that 0.5 loads on one PIII, but not the other one, no matter what...using the same install disk. It's not the small hard drive but Maybe it is just because there is some different hardware in the machine that makes the screen/colors all wonky and un-usable. At any rate, the scaled down version of 0.5 would be nice to try, I'd like that!
PS, it found my gps right away after I configured gpsd following your help to the fellow with a BT gps that was having problems. FoxtrotGPS and Xgps finds the sats right away now on re-boot without me having to type in three lines of code to get her to work. Thanks again

I tried to put Navigatrix on a 10GB drive and it failed. I thought something was seriously wrong.

It turns out the automatic installation was allocation enough drive space for a swapfile that matched the RAM of the machine. 10GB minus the swap put it below the 8.something it needed for a HD install.

If I 'Do Something Else' and preallocate the space it would work.

I don't know what your situation is.

Site Admin

i already tried to make its smaller but unless i take essential stuff out it wont become much smaller at all.
So what are the specifications of this other laptop you have? And does the system run from the usb stick ? If it doesnt support USB boot you can make a USB boot CD from the iso which is in the tools folder of the usb stick.

Site Admin

For everybody who wants the old version:

Download: Navigatrix 0.4
MD5 Sum: 1ffb7ab0ea86ad334262290d68484612
Size: 1.3GB

But i recommend to use always the newest version available.

Hi again and thank you. This was a P3 project, to see what Linux programs would load on them and how they worked. Both laptops are the same: CF-28 MK 1's
P3, 600 mhz, 20 gb hard drive, 384 gb ram.
One loaded Nav 0.5 fine, the other would not. The one that would not load (actually it loaded, but the screen slowly disolved into nothing after it booted up)...the one that would not, I finally got Mint 9 to load (10-13 would NOT). I agree with you about the newest version, but I just wanted to try the old one and see just in case. Once I get them up and running with max RAM I'm going to add GPS to them and gift them to a church in the Phillipines. I appreciate all your input, thank you David & Moe
BTW, these have a usb slot but only boot from floppy/cd/hd.
Three choices. I tried a suggestion using PLOP to make make a bootable usb install, but failed miserably. :oops:

David wrote:
For everybody who wants the old version:

Download: Navigatrix 0.4
MD5 Sum: 1ffb7ab0ea86ad334262290d68484612
Size: 1.3GB

But i recommend to use always the newest version available.

I tried to download the older version you provided, and got this message:
"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /download/nx0.4/navigatrix.iso on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Site Admin

It works now.

Thank you very much for the older version 0.4 system!
I downloaded her and made a disk and a usb install using linux mint 17, both work very well. I installed 0.4 onto this P3 CF-28 and everything works without any problems, including a usb gps stick (still working on the factory gps that is installed but not working). I reconfigured gpsd and told it to look for /dev/ttyUSB0
Bingo, TangoGPS found my position instantly. Thank you again. I'll be sure and promote your site on toughbookforums:
http://toughbooktalk.com/viewforum.php?f=39
notebookreviewpanasonicforums:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/
:mrgreen:

Site Admin

Some gps get recognized as /dev/acm0. Maybe its like this with your internal gps. Can you give it a try ?

There's an interesting explanation of the difference here:

https://www.rfc1149.net/blog/2013/03/05/what-is-the-difference-between-devttyusbx-and-devttyacmx/

Suitable reading for both the idle curious and the hardware serious.

Thanks David, I'll give /dev/acm0 a try on the old P3 and report back. I'm thinking the built in GPS might be too old/bad but you never know, right? It's nice to know that a new usb gps dongle can work quickly with the way Navigatrix is configured, "out of the box" so to speak. Best regards

Hi,
i have a panasonic toughbook cf19 with internal sd slot inbuilt (nicely protected). I have been using navigatrix on a usb with the cf19; Could i install navagitrix on sd card and get the cf19 to boot from it? I tried but cant seems to get it to boot from the sd slot. It would be a good solution if works, then i do not have to have a usb stick protruding from the cf19, and the sd card is in an enclosed compartment.

Cheers,
Ken

Ken, might be worth a new post/question, however my two cents would be to give it a try. First off I would see if it's possible to boot from your SD card. I'm not sure. I have a 19 & 30, and just have Navigatrix loaded directly to the hard drive. I like you do not like the usb sticking out. There are some small usb drives that some people are using, I saw it on either of these two sites:
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/
I'll see if I can find the link for you.
It's free to register and then you can ask your questions for the Panasonic CF-19
This is the usb drive I was thinking of that might work for you:
http://www.toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic. ... it=sandisk

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024