The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: How do i connect seatalk to cpn

Hi,
What is the most economical way to connect seatalk output to CPN. CPN only accept nmea sentences, I could built a simple HW interface from seatalk to rs232 or usb, but the sentences are still in seatalk format which cpn does not recognise. Is there a program that translate seatalk to nmea or better still a plug in for cpn that does that?
Thks
Ken

Post subject: Re: How do i connect seatalk to cpn

Ken, you use to ask questions i could answer. Now, I don't have a clue. Let me check around.

My Raymarine multi has an NMEA output. I have not much luck with it maybe the levels.I might need a level converter before sticking it in the computer. Also we made an autopilot remote http://tuioyster.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01 ... ntrol.html and this has a serial output. I wrote some c code to parse the seatalk commands and write them machine readable on the terminal for debugging. It wouldnt be so hard to make this output (some at least) sentences as NMEA. But I expect some one has already done that. I can dig out the code if anyone wants to play with it?

Site Admin

I did not get into the details of it. But there is a open source project called Signal K which seems to convert sea talk into nmea signals. This might be the direction for a solution to.your problem.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024