The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Windows 8

I know previously you could not boot Navigatrix on a windows 8 computer. I'm looking for a new laptop but it seems that everything I find has windows 8 or an ARM processor. Has anyone come up with a way to run Navigatrix on one of the new laptops? If not can you recommend an inexpensive laptop that will.

Thanks,

Tim

Post subject: Re: Windows 8

Will navigatrix run on a Crome book?

Well, this example is not new, but it looks ready to load the newest version of NX. I have a CF-30 and like it alot. Do a search and you might find a newer MK2 or MK3 for a good price. This one is a MK1:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-CF-30 ... 3a96474922

Running Linux on Windows 8 computers is entirely possible. Who told you otherwise? Only in a few cases one had problems with secure boot and UEFI. Most computers have a UEFI option to turn this off (look for legacy boot etc...).

Browse the Ubuntu forums, http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/ or on the askubuntu.com website if the model you are interested in is in fact usable with Ubuntu and/or if there are any issues.

Everything that boots Ubuntu should work with Navigatrix as the later is based on the former.

I usually bring a usb thumbdrive with a Navigatrix/ Ubuntu live system on it into the shop and boot from it. This way I see immediately if there are any driver issues.

HTH,
Christian

Thanks for the input. Moe had posted something about navigatrix not booting on windows 8 computers a while back, but apparently I haven't kept up.

I'll take a look at the CF-30

Thanks again. As always the support here is stellar!

Tim

There were problems with all Linux distributions when the new Windows 8 machines came out with the UEFI.

I don't know if all these problems have been resolved. I haven't been paying attention.

Site Admin

The issue was (and as far as I know still is) that a 32-bit ubuntu OS (on which Navigatrix is based) could not be installed on 64-bit UEFI hardware (http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?p=2777#p2777 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1025555). The inherent conflict is that NX specifically (and thankfully) tries to support older hardware and thus is shipped as a 32-bit version. However probably all of the newer W8/UEFI/Secure Boot machines are 64-bit.

If someone has more current info on this please correct me - it would be good news.

I understand that 64 bit ubuntu can be installed on 64 bit UEFI hardware as zenfunk has pointed out above (haven't tried it myself though). So - while a bit painful - you could install a 64-bit version of lubuntu (on which NX is based) and then manually add the NX specific stuff you need (including the helper scripts that do GPS/position house keeping, etc.)

Oh my god, what a clusterf... . I didn't realize that secure boot is such a mess. F... you very much Microsoft.

Sorry for the rant, but you know, before secure boot, everything just worked like a charm. Multi boot PCs, no problem what so ever. Now, for no benefit to the end user, or at least to me, the introduction of secure boot seems to complicate everything to a painful degree.
Since now it didn't really bother me at all since I ran cheap old netbooks that didn't have secure boot. My newest computer had UEFI, but since I bought it in Bali, it only had Freedos (!) preinstalled, so immediately after purchase, I swichted to legacy BIOS and installed Xubuntu (32 bit BTW). I had zero issues so far.

Apparently you can disable secure boot and still run your Windows OS, only if you change legacy mode you have to reinstall Windows. Again, what a mess....

Christian

I'm doing a boat delivery and dropped my computer. The screen broke so I purchased a new Lanovo Yoga 2 11. It has UEFI by InsydeH2O v 1.13 with H2O setup utility Rev. 5.0. and windows 8.1

On my last UEFI computer there was an option to switch to legacy boot mode. This allowed me to install Navigatrix. H2O version 1.13 has no such option. I have been told that there is a way to unlock the advanced features of the bios, but everything I have tried has failed. I desperately need Navigatrix back. Right now I'm forced to run OpenCPN in windows. I didn't realize how much better the Navigatrix version worked until I was forced to switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Unfortunately, Tim, you've put everybody into a tough spot.

They're please you think Navigatrix out performs Windows, but they are trouble you can't get it to run on the new machine.

There is bound to be someone who could shed some light on this.

Anyone?

Tim, have you tried hold the <Shift> while booting?

(To me this idea sounds far fetched, I'm just repeating "stories I've heard".)

I don't know what is suppose to happen after this, and it might only work with 64 bit OS. IDK.

Thanks Moe. I tried the shift which takes me to the boot loader. However it will not recognize Navigatrix. It's looking for an UEFI iso. I guess I'm stuck for now. If I work something out I'll post it.

Thanks again for your support. Your the best.

Tim

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024