The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Select OS at boot

Hi all!

I'm new with navigatrix and also with Linux, then excuse my low knowledge about how to solve some basic problems.

I installed it together with my Windows 7 OS with the idea to select which one I need for every work but I'm really surprised when I can not use the arrow keys once appears the boot selection screen. I neither can use any other key.

My PC is a HP, not a laptop. The keyboard is a USB INVES

I read some articles about GRUB problems and I try to install some GRUB repair software but once I install it with the Terminal I don know where to run the program...

Can anybody help me with a basic explanation?

Post subject: Re: Select OS at boot

I'll take a stab.

In some machines a USB keyboard is not enabled at boot. A 'skip' loading drivers is enabled.
Quote:
"If Enabled, USB devices will not be available until after OS boot, but BIOS will boot faster. If Disabled, USB devices will be available before OS boot, but BIOS will boot slower.
Faster is a relative term in the range of fractions of a second, but it is faster.

A simple test would be to see if you can get into your BIOS from the USB keyboard. If you can't you will need PS/2 keyboard to enable that function. Where it is specifically in your BIOS? I don't know. You'll have to take a look.

If you can get into you BIOS at boot....well, then it's something else.

I have also heard of selecting another USB port for your keyboard may resolve the issue when all else isn't cutting it.

I'm just doing some additional reading and found this
Quote:
The keyboard worked the first times I booted to GRUB so I could boot Windows 8.1 as well but then it suddenly stopped working without any good reason I thought. Just like OP I could use my keyboard in BIOS and USB Legacy keyboard was already enabled so no luck there. Finally I found a PS/2 keyboard which worked in GRUB menu and I could stop the countdown timer. I now tested my USB keyboard in all USB ports on my laptop and in the docking station and it only works with GRUB in one USB port.
What he forgot to add, and subsequently learned, was he had reconnected the USB keyboard to a different USB port after having moved the machine.

If all else fails, boot into Navigatrix and edit the grub file
Code:
gksudo medit /etc/defaults/grub
It will look something like
Quote:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT='Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)'
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb usb_keyboard ehci ohci uhci"
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="usb_keyboard"
Add the last two lines if the are not there
Quote:
GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="usb usb_keyboard ehci ohci uhci"
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="usb_keyboard
Save and execute
Code:
sudo update-grub
Reboot.

If you can get that far, see if that helps.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024