The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Version of Nx

Hi,
Can somebody confirm Nx V0.5 is based on Lubuntu 14.04?
Is it better to upgrade to V16.04 LTS or better to stay on this version?
Fairs winds,
Philippe

Post subject: Re: Version of Nx
Site Admin

Yes it's based on 14.04. You might update to 16.04 if you have any problems with you current version that you think might be solved with an update. If not, just leave it the way it is. I am working on a nx update to 16.04 as well and will upload it here as soon as it's done.

Thanks, David,
I've send this question here but found by searching on the Net...
In the Terminaal :
lsb_release -d

return the info.

I'm lazy, sure !
;-)

David wrote:
Yes it's based on 14.04. You might update to 16.04 if you have any problems with you current version that you think might be solved with an update. If not, just leave it the way it is. I am working on a nx update to 16.04 as well and will upload it here as soon as it's done.

Hello David,
I'm still testing last version of Xubuntu 16.04 modified to have "Windows-like".
It seems - form returns of forums and users experience - that last version is less stable and not "universal" than v 14.04 for old machines and softwares.
But I can, because my low experience, do some mistake...

I've tried the new version of navigatrix and there is no much difference from the previous.

1) In the first place still has serious problems with graphics cards from intel, particularly with the series "Intel Corporation Device 1916" in spite of use OpenGL
2) The previous version (4.0) had problems updating and left to operate some of the plugins in OpenCPN. This OpenCPN version does not include the display of Google Earth, and the new directly the RTLSDR plugin does not work and appear an error message using the sae configuration that previous version.
3) When you use Navigatrix on USB, OpenCPN permissions, as well as version 4.0 do not work properly and the stations of currents or tides are not running
4) The new version does not incorporate maps for QtVLM and in addition is only in English when previously you could select language
5) Update repositories, using the program "nautic almanac", can be hung and not start the program again to never run over to the previos version
6) It's wrong information about plugins for S-63 cards, that it can be downloaded from the following site: http://o-charts.org/downloads.html
7) The Stellarium presents the same problems as the previous version:
- To configure it correctly to put compass marks by default at the beginning of for example have to modify the file /home/nx/.stellarium/config.ini and correct
[CompassMarks]
enable_at_startup = true

- and disable the flag of nebulae with the exception of the milky way
[astro]
flag_bright_nebulae = false

the windows version of Stellarium includes the possibility to mark automatically (red circle) the stars used in nautical and this version neither incorporates this novelty

And so on ....

I am a novice to Navigatrix. I hope this fits withiNavigatrix44n the topic. I want to know if the .5 version of Navigatrix is appropriate for my laptop. I have a Gateway MX6441 with an AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-34, 1.79 GHz, 1.93 GB-RAM. The computer came with Window XP which I supplanted with the Navigatrix. I have a wire connection to the internet.

Observations are that the computer runs slow based on:
#Videos, like Utube, do not run smoothly (not usable), whereas my desktop running Windows 10 has no problem.
#OpenCPN: The cursor always displays the "not quite loaded" icon, even after letting it load charts overnight.
# Firefox display of "Windy" runs slow.
# I was not able to watch a DVD. Sometimes the intro would play frame by frame, sometimes smoothly.

Site Admin

go to the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and enter the command "top" it will show a list of processes and how much cpu time they use. there might be one that locks up the cpu and makes everything slow. something might be messed up.

I see there is a new(?)version of 0.5 from jan-17
I believe I have the 2015 version. If so! What is new?

Firefox? Opencpn? Others

Site Admin

If yours works as you want...no need to upgrade. Otherwise here is a list of whats in the 2017 version:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=639

OK, thanks, David

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024