The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: OpenCPN ingesting charts

Hi

Since I've done a harddisk install and we're in the process of relocating us and the boat to the US, I went ahead and downloaded all the ENC charts (I also have the worldwide CM93 charts).

Now every time I look at the ENC charts in new area it starts "ingesting" a couple of thousand files. OK, if it needs to do that, it needs to do that and that's fine by me, but is there a way I could tell it to just get on with it and ingest all the charts while I'm sleeping and be done with it?

Owen
Magic

Post subject: Re: OpenCPN ingesting charts

I don't know what you mean by 'ingesting'.

A chart database needs to be compiled. If the size of that database overwhelms your machine break it down into regional chunks.

HI
Moe wrote:
I don't know what you mean by 'ingesting'.

Well, that's what the dialog box says whenever I look at the ENC charts in an area I haven't looked at before.

Moe wrote:
A chart database needs to be compiled. If the size of that database overwhelms your machine break it down into regional chunks.

That's exactly what I want to avoid. I would like it to just go ahead and compile the whole database while I sleep. As it is now, whenever I try to open the ENC charts in an area I haven't looked at before, I get a dialog box on screen which says it's "ingesting" the charts and I have to wait for 10-15 seconds and sometimes more before the charts will open. I zoom in and there's more ingesting. I switched to Linux so I would not have to spend my life waiting for the computer.

And - the huge CM93 worldwide database works out of the box without compiling or ingesting anything.

Owen
Magic

Hello,
I think Open CPN is converting the ENC files to usable charts as part of the "quilting" process. I have the same thing occurring when I zoom or pan, but then Open CPN crashes like it ate too much. :roll:

What you could try is edit the opencpn.conf file....

add this line to the bottom of the [settings] list....

NCacheLimit=yy

yy being the number of charts you want it to show at any given moment.... this stops it caching all the charts... all of the time.... For example... my limit is set to 08 as I am running it on a small ARM device.... works like a dream.... no more waiting for it to rebuild all the time.

Site Admin

This command line ingests all charts automatically... can take quite a while if you have lots of charts.

opencpn -unit_test_1

Interesting... it is my intention to change the name of the option to something more descriptive, and add a ui option to perform it as well.

Next to ingest the charts sorted by distance from ownship so that you may stop early. Finally, to use threads to allow multiple cpu cores.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024