The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Tablets anyone?

No, not the medical kind that can give you a "rise", but the Tablet PC kind.

Is anyone running nx on a Tablet PC? If so, which one and what is your experience? Does nx support touch screens natively?

I've been thinking that a Tablet suitably waterproofed would be an excellent navigation computer. The keyboard is after all mostly redundant in navigation, and the little keyboard entry that is needed can easily be done with an onscreen keyboard.

Compare a $ 3-400 10" tablet running nx with a $2000 chart plotter and you start to wonder if the world has gone crazy.

I've been navigating on computers (with paper backup) for well over a decade now.

Owen
Magic

Post subject: Re: Tablets anyone?

I have just installed Navigatrix 0.325 on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 which is a convertible laptop/tablet PC.

My CF-19 includes a 10" Wacom Digitizer. Ubuntu-based distros (including NX) seem to do a very good job of recognizing and _calibrating_ my digitizer screen. It worked perfectly right from the first time I powered it on. Under Debian I have had to manually calibrate the digitizer pen.

( I am not sure how relevant my results will be to your question, since the CF-19 does not fit into the $300-$400 tablet category. However some of the hardware on my CF-19 may also be found on other tablet devices. )

- As for other hardware that just worked...

The CF-19's internal GPS receiver worked fine after issuing 'dpkg-reconfigure gpsd' to set /dev/ttyS2 as the GPS device.

The Intel Pro/Wireless 465 works perfectly on my 802.11A network. Have not had a chance to try it on 802.11[BGN].

The Intel GM965/GL960 display adapter works fine at the screen's 1024x768 native resolution.

Cursory checks of the Firewire/SD Card/Audio all look OK.

- Hardware problems that I have encountered...

The Screen Rotation and Virtual Keyboard launcher buttons on the edge of the CF-19 do not work. However NX seems to have re-mapped the <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<ArrowKeys> to adjust screen orientation instead of the usual workspace selection functionality. The digitizer pen is _not_ properly calibrated under any screen orientation other than the default.

Unfortunately, all distros that I have tried using the Linux 2.6.3* series kernels do not properly recognize the CF-19's Synaptics Trackpad. It has basic mouse pointer functionality with emulated 3 buttons, but no edge-scroll or multi-touch capabilities are enabled. If Linux does not properly recognize the hardware, Xorg does not configure it properly. This is a problem I have been dealing with under Linux on this PC for a couple years now.

See my post on "http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=191" how to change desktop environment. I have navigatrix working on a st5032 that was sold for parts only.

i have see your post but nothing some special

I think that is a dead thread. Tablet configuration using wacom has be integral since 0.4.

We need somebody responsible to deal with this cruft as it is apparent that I'm not.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024