The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Re: ARM processor?
Site Admin

So basically the scripts to help a couple of programs to make use of the gps are located in /usr/local/bin. There is also a couple of other scripts to make everything working smooth. The location of the package list is in /etc/apt/sources.list. It would be nice to have something that comes as close as possible to the current navigatrix version. So the documentation would be valid without rewriting. Also would be nice to have a similar layout so its easy to switch between both versions. A list of the most important tools can be found here. The goal is to have everything as complete as possible. Basically one package that includes the latest and greatest software available for the navigator today. Everything that could be helpful on a boat. And having all this in a way that makes it as easy as possible to use with a minimum amount of configuration, since many people are new to linux. Well, thats the dream. Reality is different. But at least we can try. Most packages have source codes on there project websites. Some can also be found inside The Quorum where this whole ARM topic may be moved too as well. Some stuff is adapted, especially the latest GNU AIS which would not work out of the box with virtual serial ports. Guess i need to get a cubieboard soon too.... if this is it what we will use. At some point we should just decide for one platform.

David wrote:
So basically the scripts to help a couple of programs to make use of the gps are located in /usr/local/bin. There is also a couple of other scripts to make everything working smooth. The location of the package list is in /etc/apt/sources.list. It would be nice to have something that comes as close as possible to the current navigatrix version. So the documentation would be valid without rewriting. Also would be nice to have a similar layout so its easy to switch between both versions. A list of the most important tools can be found here. The goal is to have everything as complete as possible. Basically one package that includes the latest and greatest software available for the navigator today. Everything that could be helpful on a boat. And having all this in a way that makes it as easy as possible to use with a minimum amount of configuration, since many people are new to linux. Well, thats the dream. Reality is different. But at least we can try. Most packages have source codes on there project websites. Some can also be found inside The Quorum where this whole ARM topic may be moved too as well. Some stuff is adapted, especially the latest GNU AIS which would not work out of the box with virtual serial ports. Guess i need to get a cubieboard soon too.... if this is it what we will use. At some point we should just decide for one platform.

Hi David,

Thanks for the info.... I know what you mean regards keeping everything simple as possible... the view I am taking, is get to something that everyone can use intuitively and not need to know anything about linux behind the scenes.....
The main interface I am looking at concentrating on, is a touch screen type as the cost of these are coming down all the time... (7" screen for £28 GBP.. not sure what that is in US money...) I guess I should mention that I am living in the UK...
With regards to the GNU AIS Data... have you considered this http://www.radargadgets.com/buyais.htm
I have had a look at these and I can get generic ones made on a module that will fit into a box with my cubieboard for just a few £'s.... I have also looked at the same for the GPS Sirf III chips, so you will not need an external GPS Antenna... But I have also got functionality to connect an external one, should people prefer it. The OS Image I have at the moment is also running from a 2.5" Internal SSD (Solid State Drive) connected to the cubieboard which speeds things up a treat.... :D
I will work on gettting everything together over this next week and will hopefully have some good news for everyone.

@CapCouillon....

The Utilite does look great... although compared to my cubieboard, its a lot larger... also they have not released power consumption specs yet... that I can see anyway... if it is over 5Amps... I will consider something else... The cubieboard will run on 500mA... but as I mentioned in my earlier post... I run it at 1Amp.... My aim here, is for sustainability whilst on long journeys, where battery power is key.
As for your Dell..... You have my sympathies.... What you could try, is a little utility called CPUFrequtils. There are versions for both Linux and Windows... It enables you to govern what speed your processor (CPU) runs at. It will by default, set it to run at what is called "OnDemand" which makes your CPU less active, in turn making it run cooler. This means that your internal fan will not be running as much and therefore use loads less power.
Give it a try and let me know how you get on.... another trick you can do... is on the base of your Old Dell... there will be little rubber feet on each corner. If you have a pencil eraser or an old piece of neoprene, cut them up to match the feet and add them to the existing ones. Therefore lifting your laptop off the desk by a further few milimeters. This will improve the airflow and stop it getting hot quickly. Again, less time the fans cut in to keep it cool, so less power used. Also, this might sound silly but it works... locate the external vent for the fans... get a small paint brush.... clean out this area... you'll be amazed at how much dust and rubbish will fall out... then get a vaccum cleaner and put the hose on the vents... This will help airflow too.... I do this to my laptop about 3 or 4 times a year....

OK folks... enough of me rambling on.... time to go work on my new cubieboard2....

Have fun and keep safe everyone...

Tks for the suggestions on the D(h)ell .... Utilite claims on their Spec page 3-8W depending on configuration and load. 10-16V unregulated input. Sounds good if true.

Tks again

Site Admin

Yes indeed it would be really nice to have opencpn and the other tools more touchscreen friendly. Also would be nice to make use of the added possibiliies of the new gadgets wich are connectable to the board. Ill take a close look as soon as i finish the paint job i have to do right now.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024