The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Re: Navigatrix on Asus EEBox EB1030

David wrote:
Thats strange....works perfectly on my asus 900 ha. I did not test it but should even run on the eeebox. The cedarview graphic card driver is included.

For some reason a small group of theses EeePC with the Cedarview need to be told to pick up the intel module. The fix has been the creation of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and specifying it. Some claim a nomodtest flag will do it.

Hello!
Where do I put the nomodeset flag? In the config file around "quiet splash"?
I will wait, and keep my ears open.:)

A.

What have you got to loose, Adrian? This was advice from some people regarding this trouble with the EeePC. I never read a follow-up where they came back and said, "Yea! it worked". The thread just died. So, don't get your hopes up...but;

Fire up your computer; insert the stick. Look for a file at /media-whatever/isolinux/isolinux.cfg. Open a text editor. Lines 9-12 will look like:
Quote:
LABEL nx
MENU LABEL Navigatrix via USB
KERNEL /casper/vmlinuz
APPEND noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz persistent max_loop=32 quiet splash

Add nomodtest to the end. Save it; close it up, and give it a whirl.

Hi, Moe!

I dont have "isolinux" folder on the stick, and no isolinux.cfg file either. I searched the stick, and I can not find the file.
My foldrs on the stick are the following:
casper
CHARTS
DOWNLOADS
MUSIC
PICTURES
DESKTOP
DOCUMENTS
GRIB
preseed
syslinux
TOOLS
VIDEOS
.disk
LIBRARY
Files:
casper-rw
home-rw
ldlinux.sys

I downloaded the iso again, just to try. Now it boots on the Eee PC 900ha.
If i try to check the integrity of the system files, with the tool in the boot menu, it comes back with: errors found in 2 files. It doesnt say which files.

Adrian

I found a file called syslinux.cfg, which fit your description, and modified it. Nothing changes. Checking battery state [Ok]
and it freezes right there. The 900HA laptop it starts up with the modified cfg file.
Anyone knows what is the next line in the script after "checking battery state"?
Thank you guys.

Sorry, Adrian,...status normal. I'm just slightly confused.

Yeah,...I mean syslinux.

I'm told after the battery check it starts up the Xserver (the graphic interface). That it's also far enough along in the boot process to <ctl><alt><F2> your way to a text consul.

I will wait a week, and download the version recommended by David, and try again. Thank for the help, guys!

Site Admin

You only have to download it again if you have an error in your downloaded file. You can check the md5 sum of the iso using md5. Compare the number with the one from the download page. If this is correct best thing to do is to follow moes advice.

Hello!

I downloaded the ISO again, cheksum is identical with the one on the website (27c26577df2dd32c41f3b01420693491)
After booting from the stick it still freezes at the same point. Tried in older graphics card mode, it does the same.
Using the secksum test in the boot menu, it shows errors in two files. I don`t understand how can the cheksum on the iso file be good, and after creating a bootable stick, the cheksums wont be good.
I am creating the bootable stick with Ubuntu`s startup disk creator.
Adding nomodetest to syslinux.cfg does not alter anything.
I will try to create a stick with the other computer, using navigatrix, and will run the checksum test at boot, to see.

Adrian

Well, created the new stick from the cheksum-verified iso, but at boot, when I check the integrity of the system files, it still finds errors in 2 files.
The ee pc boots up from it ok, while the eeebox does not.
thanks for all your help.

...bad stick?

It might be academic at this point because it's not related to the eeebox troubles. But, execute this from a Linux terminal:
sudo fsck.vfat -atvVw /dev/sdX1 ...X being the stick.

As Super User DO FileSystemChecK for a VFAT32 system. Automagical fix problems with the least destructive method; mark unreadable clusTers as bad (the 't' was a stretch); Verbose; Verification pass; Write fixes to device.

This a 4GB stick.
Quote:
wadda@mini:~$ sudo fsck.vfat -atvVw /dev/sdd1
dosfsck 3.0.14 (23 Jan 2023)
dosfsck 3.0.14, 23 Jan 2023, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
Differences: (offset:original/backup)
3:53/6d, 4:59/6b, [LOTSA'NUMBERS DELETED]
, 507:3e/00, 508:18/00, 509:37/00
Not automatically fixing this.
Boot sector contents:
System ID "SYSLINUX"
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
512 bytes per logical sector
4096 bytes per cluster
32 reserved sectors
First FAT starts at byte 16384 (sector 32)
2 FATs, 32 bit entries
3911680 bytes per FAT (= 7640 sectors)
Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
Data area starts at byte 7839744 (sector 15312)
977286 data clusters (4002963456 bytes)
62 sectors/track, 124 heads
0 hidden sectors
7833600 sectors total
Starting check/repair pass.
Checking for bad clusters.
Reclaiming unconnected clusters.
Checking free cluster summary.
Starting verification pass.
Checking for unused clusters.
/dev/sdd1: 279 files, 182385/977286 clusters

A 'cluster' check if the highlight of my day. Bad clusters are written down as bad. They won't get used until they are 'fixed' or the mark is removed. This doesn't always work.

With excitement like this no one will be able to go to sleep.

I made a new startup disk, using a new stick, and the iso file from the website. MD5 matches for the ISO file. The files checked by nx on boot have errors in 2 files, and then it freezes.
Can anybody recommend me a small pc, similar to the eeebox, what runs with navigatrix?
I would be happy just to buy another box, and get over with this problem.
Specs: solid state HDD, 32G, Serial port, SD card slot, HDMI video output.
Any recommendations?

Site Admin

You can see which files got errors executing the command: md5sum -c md5sum.txt after changing into the folder where the stick is located. An md5 error may indicate an error during the copy process or a faulty or badly connected usb memory. Once you know which files have errors you can copy them manualy onto the usb memory and check again.

Basicly any Ubuntu certified hardware runs Navigatrix if its supported by Ubuntu, look here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/

Unfortunatly the EB1030 is only supported by the manufacturer:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/har ... 210-11935/

It needs further analysis of the logfiles from the EB1030 to see if its possible to make it work. The manufacturer may offer a driver pack or something which may be included into the navigatrix. I didnt check yet. Also navigatrix uses always the newest kernel and drivers which is more compatible in many cases then the standard ubuntu kernels and drivers.

Site Admin

Ok, i figured it out. The EB1030 has ubuntu preinstalled on one partition and a rescue backup on a second partition. When you boot from the navigatrix stick its handing the boot process over to the rescue partition and then stops booting because the rescue partition has a different system on it which confuses the whole boot process. The reason for this behavior is the /usr/share/initramfs-tools/casper script which has a function inside which searchs the boot medium at startup from the script and uses the first one found. Unfortunatly in the case of the EB1030 it finds the one from the rescue partition first. The problem can be fixed either by disabling the IDE drive inside the BIOS or by moving the contents of the rescue partition into a subfolder where it cant be found. Or simply by deleting the rescue partition completely which releases also some additional free space. After this navigatrix can be used and installed like normal without any changes to it. There is also a boot parameter "live-media" where you can specifie the boot device you like to use in case you have several ones. However, this function is currently not supported.

Post subject: Re: [solved] Navigatrix on Asus EEBox EB1030

Yes, it is officially solved! Thank you David, and Moe!
I have NX again. As i do not go on the sea without my nx up and running, it is a great thing for me!
New version is great, still feeling my way around it, fighting with gmpc right now :)

Adrian

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024