The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: [solved] Install from Stick doesn't work

Sorry to be a bother and all that but.....Having satisfied myself that this is a really nice3 system, I thought I'd try the Install on Hard Drive.

I get all the way through the seven step programme but at the last minute it tells me that the installation failed. It tells me that the disc drive might need its eyes wiped - which is silly 'cos I aint got a drive, I'm installing from a stick. Then it goes on to tell me to check my computer hard drive. Yeah, right, how do I do that??? Anyway I think my hard drive, having been lovingly looked after and read a bed-time story every time I put it to sleep, is probably ok for a two year old machine....

Tried it twice now: I'm thinking that maybe my stick hasn't quite managed to load all the goodies it was supposed to have done?

Post subject: Re: Install from Stick doesn't work

Tony, hadn't heard from you in a while...started to worry; thought you might have taken off to the Caribbean....er, ...wait. Uh, nevermind.

It sounds like you have some tangled data bits on your drive. That's not the technical term or necessarily an accurate metaphor of what has happened, but I will continue with the metaphor and abuse it for what it's worth.

Occasionally, when a hard drive writes data it will stumble and put it in the wrong place. Think of it as a long line in a lazarette. You take your time; coil it; stow it. When you need it it beautifully coiled a flows from your hand like a spider casting silk.

Now coil, stow, retrieve, and re-stow this coil a thousand times a second; and in vibration; wild seas; and toss in some extra gear into the lazarette.... The coil might need a bit of preening to a) use it; or b) recoil it in a smaller space so it's still handy and usable, but to make room for additional gear.

You want to do the latter. Unfortunately the coil of line you want to shove over to the side of the lazarette needs to be untangled first.

Generally this check is a minor operation. Now a days, with the advanced data management in the file systems if the tangled data is not too bad a simple tool will run through the file system and automagically fix any problems.

Navigatrix automagically does this every 30 boots. It's mostly transparent....just ever 30th boot takes a little bit longer as the system preens itself to prevent any disasters.

The easiest way for you to check (and fix, if needed) your hard drive is to boot up Navigatrix and open up the Partition Editor (Menu >System Tools >Partition Editor)

This what my hard drive looks like:
Attachment:
-sda-GParted_0.png
-sda-GParted_0.png [ 103.19 KiB | Viewed 9696 times ]
Yours will look similar...but different.

I'm multi-booting to three different Linux distributions sharing the same /home; the geek version of a ménage à trois. Being of pure(r) heart and sound(er) mind most likely you won't have as many segments in your diagram. They will be different colour and have different names....that's ok.

When you boot up Navigatrix is going to want to mount these files systems. It's always advisable to UN-mount a file system before you check it.
Attachment:
-sda-GParted_1.png
-sda-GParted_1.png [ 110.1 KiB | Viewed 9696 times ]
Just click on every segment (in turn), and unmount it. You can either click on the diagram, or the text.
Attachment:
-sda-GParted_2.png
-sda-GParted_2.png [ 108.83 KiB | Viewed 9696 times ]
When the drive is unmounted the Check command is enabled. Check it.

Do this for every chunk of salami that's in the diagram. You might have 3+ separate partitions.

When you are done....Apply all Operations.
Attachment:
-sda-GParted_3.png
-sda-GParted_3.png [ 99.09 KiB | Viewed 9696 times ]
...that the lazy man's way of 'checking the filesystem'...well that the way I do it sometimes.

Always a consideration, but seldom a concern, is the stern warning. (It's a CYA Statment.)
Attachment:
Apply operations to device_001.png
Apply operations to device_001.png [ 20.74 KiB | Viewed 9695 times ]

Check out http://navigatrix.net/nxdoc/03_installing_nx.html if you have any questions. If you run into an unanswered question or problem come back here.

Ha!! Thanks, Moe!! I've done a BVI to Cartagena then a USVI to Portsmouth NH - both using my little samsung and navigatrix stick. Since all went well and both gps and ais talked to open cpn all the way, I thought the time had come to speed up the samsung with a hard disc install. What finally persuaded me to do this was finding that lovely wefax or radio signal converter buried in the navigatrix stick! Mind you, I haven't done anything with it yet and judging from my track record to date, I'll be asking more blonde questions, I'm sure!!

I'll follow your instructions and report back. I hope to get it all buttoned up before I do a Fort Lauderdale to South of France next week!!

cheers, T

Hi Moe,

OK I now have a "big stick". Quite a difference in speed!! In mucking around with the partitions I managed to break the usb stick so had to re-download the iso. I think that all the time, I had had a slightly corrupted stick - don't ask how but anyway.

So - apart from the delivery which starts tomorrow, the next project is radio and weather fax....!!

Many thanks once again, Tony

Cool.

Yeah, the hard drive is faster than the stick in everything but the shutdown...because of having to deal with the swap partition.

Have a good delivery.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024