The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: [solved] Can't create a livedisc.

A friend made a livedisc for me. Then he went away. Several weeks later, I tried to boot from it on my Thinkpad t43p. It wouldn't recognise the USB, let alone boot from it. Then I changed the Bios boot priorities. It would to it, but I persisted. Now it has '-USB HDD= at the top of the list. I can't get it to show '+USB HDD', having tried all the tricks I have found on forums. I want to boot it onto my Andriod tablet, to use it as a plotter. No joy, and no info as to how to get into BIOS. It is an 'L29i'.
After speaking to a linux-savvy friend, I tried to 'create a livedisc' in the Livedisc Creator ( I run Ubuntu 12.04 on my thinkpad). I didn't realise it would try to erase the data on the already re-formatted and loaded USB flashdrive (32gb) which my first friend had made for me. So I stopped it. Then I copied everything on the USB (Navigatrix only) to a folder on my Ubuntu desktop. But it had already engaged in the erasure, and I am now worried it has erased a load of stuff. The chart folder shows up as enmpty, as does everything else but the library. But it still takes 45 minuted or so to copy, so the data is obviously still there. Anyway, after making a couple of copies, I went ahead with the livedisc creation. I have been trying to download the iso file, as has my girlfriend on her MAC, for several weeks now. There are two virtually empty files in my downloads folder. No folders. The livedisc doesn't work on either machine. I love the sound of Navigatrix and look forward to getting to know it. I don't know enough, or have enough time to teach myself for days and days, as we are trying to get under way. But I'm desperate for something that can download grib file and overlay them onto Carribean charts. Especially this time of year. HELP!!!!

Post subject: Re: Can't create a livedisc.

rupie wrote:
it would try to erase the data ... So I stopped it...it had already engaged in the erasure...it has erased a load of stuff...it still takes 45 minuted or so to copy, so the data is obviously still there.
...or the filesystem is buggered up and it take 45 minutes to chew through the rat's nest.

Using an application like testdisk you might be able to reconstruct the drive. While it's in Navigatrix I don't recall if it's part of the regular Ubuntu distribution.

That being said it's more of a "stranded on a deserted island and this is the only way off" type strategy; or "love the challenge...it's only a few hours of head bashing on possibly a fruitless task and you can acknowledge and accept defeat if it comes to that" educational opportunity.

The painless way, and perhaps the most expeditious is to get the ISO; match the checksum; and use the appropriate methods to create a startup disk.

Whether you have a good, fast...or slow, intermittent connection, I recommend using a download manager. This way, if you have to download over a number of connections, sessions, days...like a good old friend, you can pick up where you left off.

That being said...your Android tablet uses an ARM processor, as many do. Navigatrix doesn't run on ARMs. It takes a different configuration and Wine, the application layer that allows the use of Windows applications such as AirMail, for the pactor users, doesn't do ARM either.

There has been a lot of interest in an ARM version...just not a lot of support.

When you have a properly made LiveCD we can figure out how to have your Thinkpad t43p boot to it.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024