The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Re: Move Navigatrix & Plop onto a USB stick?

Boot up the Siemens from the DVD. Locate the file you downloaded. In the terminal enter:

md5sum /media/location/of/navigatrix.iso

Compare the output to the MS5Checksum that is on http://navigatrix.net/download.php

it should match MD5: 1ffb7ab0ea86ad334262290d68484612

Next locate the file filesystem.squasfs located on the DVD and run the same test

md5sum /cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs ...or there abouts.

It should match

24f3529f694dcf8b8e26ef2196fc996c filesystem.squashfs

Do the same test on the same file on the stick by inserting the stick

md5sum /media/something/casper/filesystem.squashfs

It also needs to match the last checksum number.

While you are there check the file initrd.gz in the same directory by exchanging filesystem.squashfs with initrd.gz

The match is:

b3aabf65515c9c632fab25647edc7ae8 initrd.gz

One more for good measure; vmlinuz in the same directory.

Its match is:

dee4f446d044c59d524038377e357f93 vmlinuz

If any of the checksums do not match you need to start back one step in the process.

This skips checking the last two files on the DVD...but we're making some assumptions to save time.

I will try that now. May take a few minutes ;-)

Checksum of original download ISO is ok.
Checksums on stick files are also ok.(match your numbers).

Checks on DVD do not run.
Still, that does not really matter, as the stick checksums and the original ISO are fine, no? For booting the Armada (which fails) we used the stick & the Bootmanager Iso. Navigatrix runs fine from the DVD on the Siemens.

And now?

Since the stick intact, there might be some kernel option that need to be turned off/on.

Is this a Compaq Armada 1592DT laptop, a 4120... or what model? A brief look indicates they (Compaq) experimented with hardware for the early part of this run. We might benefit from someone else's experience.

It is a Compaq Armada M700. Danish Keyboard layout.

This is the shotgun approach.... From the people who wrote the bootloader of the stick, this is their 'failsafe' method. We'll se how it works.

With the Siemens running Navigatrix, insert the USB and edit the syslinux.cfg file on the stick

In the terminal

sudo gedit /media/someting-or-other/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

After the 28th line...a block of text that looks like;
Quote:
label nx
menu label Navigatrix
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz persistent root_size=100 home_size=500 max_loop=32 ip=frommedia quiet splash

you can cut and paste in the following

Code:
# failsafe
label failsafe
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz persistent root_size=100 home_size=500 max_loop=32 ip=frommedia  splash=verbose acpi=off vga=normal noapic nolapic noscsi nopcmcia

The last line (append boot=...) is long and unbroken by a return. Leave a blank line in between the next block that begins:label es

Save the file; unmount the stick and then try to boot the Armada with the BootManager CD and the stick insert. When the Blue screen appears hit the <esc> until the screen go black and stays black.

At the boot: enter:

failsafe

followed by the <enter>

It should spew a lot of text across the screen. If it hangs note the last few lines which should tell us where the problem is...'

If...if that flies we can then subtract switches that are turning things off and are unnecessary.

Good luck.

Jikes, still does not get passed:
boot failsafe
Loading /casper/vmlinuz.......
Loading /casper/initrd.gz...
Flashing command prompt

By the way, on the first time I try this I only get:

boot failsafe
Flashing command prompt

After a second reboot I get (sometimes):
boot failsafe
Loading /casper/initrd.gz...
Flashing command prompt

Out of curiosity...is this your Armada ?

400 Mhz Pentium II Mobile CPU
192 MB PC100 RAM
30 GB HD
1 USB 1.1 port
CD reader drive
External floppy drive
10/100 Ethernet

Type: BIOS
Version: 686H_2002.0315 A (9 Apr 2002)

or

Version: 686H_2001.1129 A2 (31 Jan 2002)

or

Version: 686H_2001.0721 (2 Aug 2001)

...I don't think you'd be happy with the performance, if it in fact will run.. I tried on a machine that had only a USB 1.1 and it took forever to load...like 10 minutes. Yeah, it ran. But the first thing I did was put it on the hard drive to avoid slashing my wrists. I beefed up the machine with 1GB RAM. Fortunately lightning took it out in Panama.

Compaq Armada
M700
Intel Pentium III
500Mhz
Processor stepping 3
Cache size (L1/L2) 32/256 KB
Memory size 128 MB
ROM date 03/15/2002
ROM family 686H
Video revision ATI 4.240
Keyboard controller 03/08/02
BIOS 1.0
1x USB 1.1
1x CD drive in multi bay
No floppy drive

I have no hesitation to put Navigatrix on the HDD. Stick would have been preferred due to crash safety.

As I got the laptop with the boat, there was a dead slow copy of windows & a chart program on it. As windows is so resource hungry, I figured a tiny linux (like Puppy or Navigatrix) with open CPN would work better. That is the background here.
I may try to upgrade the RAM if I can find the right RAM.

What I like on the Armada is the compact size & robust metal housing & that I would dedicate it to boat stuff only.

Any chances left with Navigatrix?

I'm off to the library to look...anyone else is free to chime in.

Hey, thanks so much so far! You showed real determination on the issue!!!!

I'll go & fix the spreader lights now. Looking forward to any other ideas.

Have a fabulous day!

No worries... I'm just trying to figure out how break the news to you.

I'm currently running a test with 128MB virtual machine that is just running off a USB (and not with the extra memory bite from the BootManager)...5 minutes into it; it's not booting and I'm looking for sharp objects.

I kick it up to 192MB and it boots....yeah. But any application that pushes it to the limit (read most graphic GUIs, like the Planetarium, or more than a few small apps in conjunction) will cause those applications to crash.....boo. I could run OpenCPN by its lonesome, but I didn't have the burden of any charts, as none were installed.

On the stick there is no swap to exchange memory for disk that allows for a lower base amount of RAM. 256MB would give you more wiggle room.

But than there's always the question of is it worth putting in extra RAM, or should you go to the park and steal some old lady's laptop...or maybe just buck up and get a different machine. Only you can make that choice. A few years ago I was cannibalising old(er) machines and giving away the RAM, so if -if- you could find it it should be cheap. But it still might not be worth the effort.

There is a way to put an iso on the hard drive and have GRUB boot from that iso. I don't know if that capability is on the version of GRUB you have on your Puppy installation or not. It also doesn't fully address your memory problem.

I have to go to the Blue Mountains in 8 hours and will be back in a few days. You can think about your options...and maybe someone will have a better one.

Hi,

just had a last thought, which I will try to check tonight. The Siemens has two harddrives. I will swap one of them with the harddrive of the Armada & installNavigatrix on it. Then I will put the harddrive back on the Armada. Maybe that works?

Then I'll see what happens with the Armada once it has OpenCPN & Charts loaded if it is sluggish as with the old Windows, I will put Puppy on it, sell it & get a cheap replacement.

Have a great trip! Thanks so much,

Franzi

http://ladyrover.jimdo.com/

Well, the harddisk connectors did not match ;-(

Guess I have to abandon the idea of Navigatrix on the Armada. Find a very small Linux distro (Puppy?) and install Opencpn to see if there is any point in trying to proceed with the Armada.

If anyone has an idea left, feel free to chip in...

Thanks!

It was a thought I had coming off the mountain. I had a Compaq once and rather than a 44 pin connector it had a duck billed platypus thing on the end.

...hang on. I have an idea how to make it work...but; (there's always a but)

The problem you're going to run into is a phenomenon called 'disk thrashing'. It wouldn't be severe but it's something to consider.

A definition of 'disk thrashing unceremoniously pinched for the intertube:
Quote:
Thrashing

When referring to a computer, thrashing or disk thrashing is a term used to describe when the hard drive is being overworked by moving information between the system memory and virtual memory excessively. Thrashing is often caused when the system does not have enough memory, the system swap file is not properly configured, or too much is running on the computer and it has low system resources.

When thrashing occurs, a user will notice the computer hard drive always working and a decrease in system performance. Thrashing is bad on a hard drive because of the amount of work the hard drive has to do and if is left unfixed will likely cause an early failure of the hard drive.

To resolve hard drive thrashing, a user can do any of the below.

Increase the amount of RAM in the computer.
Decrease the amount of programs being run on the computer.
Adjust the size of the swap file.

It won't thrash too badly....but there will be some swapping...like you are always moving two tons of fertiliser in a one ton truck. Your choice.

Hi. Guess we are pushing it. I'll give up & swap the computer.

I hoped it will fly better with Linux, but it is just a lot of hacking around....

Many thanks for trying hard though,

hugs,

Franziska

No worries.

....and it only takes extra fiddling when you're on the edge. Seriously. Linux runs more devices out of the box than any other operating system...ever

On two machines that I currently run it was a matter of plugging it in and turning on the power.

Nearly all of the copies I've personally given out were no muss no fuss as well....a few problem machines that got a little uppity, but we could put them in their place in short order.

When there are no problems we will never hear. People come to the forum when there are difficulties they need help in solving. The forum gives a biased view.

What can I say but; Don't let the machines win.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024