The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: [solved] Installiing nx0.5 documentation

Hello all,
Is there a documentation to clearly install the last version of Nx on HDD, Windows inwtalled as dual boot?
It seems the new way to install different and I don't want to crash my Win OS...
Is Nx partitionning itself the space we allow to install of should we indicate how and what to do in size, extention (ext3, ext4, reiser...) ?

Thanks a lot
Best regards,
Philippe from France.

Post subject: Re: Installiing nx0.5 documentation

I would also like to install NX05 in a dual boot config. Is it possible? :geek:

Woops! Nevermind....The answer is in the documentation! Who reads the instructions anyway??? :oops:

Hard drive installation instruction are located http://navigatrix.net/nxdoc/03_installing_nx.html. The graphics have changed a little, but the process is the same.

The biggest problem problem I had was installing GRUB. This "upgraded" installer is a little dumber with regards to GRUB as there are less options.

On the first couple of boots the stick was named /dev/sda and the internal hard drive was named /dev/sdb....so when the install process lays down GRUB (Device for bootloader installation:) all references are to /dev/sdb.

When you re-boot without the stick the internal hard drive becomes /dev/sda and GRUB flakes out because it can't find the kernel on /dev/sdb BECAUSE IT'S NOT THERE. <murmurs about stupid machines>

I looked for rhyme and reason for this behaviour but found none. The third or fourth boot the installer recognized that the stick was /dev/sdb; that the internal was /dev/sda; and that GRUB should be written to it as /dev/sda.

Why?...I don't know; if it was a hard boot (power off); stick removed and re-inserted; or the other way around...or maybe the old alchemy trick of turning lead into gold; running around a church three times at midnight while not thinking of a polar bear...I don't know. It just happened and I'm still in the dark at the church wondering how.

If this same fate befalls you; save time; you don't have to run around a church three times. Use the Grub Customizer referenced in the post http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?p=1200#p1200. It works. The new Grub Customizer just made my head sore.

This is the only warning that comes to mind...aside from "don't format your entire drive unless you want to".

Using the Installer options to
    install side by side
    overwrite, or
    something else

You can find a solution that fits your desire. A reasonable bare minimum is 8GB. But I suggest two partitions; at least > 6GB for / root and at least > 20GB for /home. But to quote American painter, art instructor, and television host, Bob Ross, "If it doesn't suit you...you can change it. It's your own little world you can do what you want."

More space is nearly always better, but it depends how and what you do with the machine. Unless it's a rare case, root partitions over 20GB are generally a waste of space.

Creating two (three if you include 'swap") partitions gives more flexibility, even though you will most likely have to create an extended partition to accomplish it. I find gparted (Partition Manager) easier to work with than the installer's partitioner. It has a 'friendlier' frontend for the same outcome. I then choose "Something Else" in the Installer to place the data specifically in the partitions I had just created.

GRUB uses an OS probe and Windows' boot loader will be "chainloaded" through GRUB.

Excellent info Moe! I will let you know how I go.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024