The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: [solved] How do I install PolarView

Hi,
This Navigatrix distro comes with Polarcom pre-installed. I would like to install the companion app, PolarView. I have been using it on XP and found it excellent. It is available for Linux with installation instructions at http://www.polarnavy.com/main/download
My question is, can anyone provide simple instructions (or software) to install this on a Navigatrix flash drive? I am finding it quite impossible.

Post subject: Re: How do I install PolarView

PolarCom is free (although not open source. It is my understanding that it is included only because there isn't anything comparable that is open source.). However, PolarView is paid propietary software. PolarNavy makes money both selling the code and selling the database they are offering.

The people who sell the software have instructions. http://polarnavy.wordpress.com/2010/01/ ... tructions/

You paid for their code. They owe you an explanation.

According to support at PolarView,
"Some Linux systems do not have sufficient information to generate a unique serial number.
PolarView cannot be activated on such systems, and you will not be able to use any of the protected charts such as S63 charts, BSBv4 charts, PolarNavy UK charts etc.
In general, as an open source product, Linux does not give itself easily to data protection that is required from us by chart issuers."

I would like to stay with Navigatrix. Are there any plans to facilitate user installed applications in this way?

Site Admin

PolarView is included in the next update, which will be available for download in a couple of days .... but you have to run it from the command line entering "polarview".

Post subject: Re: [solved] How do I install PolarView

That's great news. However when I installed the trial version on Navigatrix, it didn't show a serial number and so could not be authorised. Hope your update doesn't have this problem.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024