The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Email using Navigatrix

I've posted this question elsewhere but want to ask the same of you folks;

I'm a US Extra Class ham but have only used radio on land principally using voice or QRP CW.

I'd like to install my radio onto my boat and use it for sending and receiving email and WX fax. The technical complexities of the installation aren't a concern.

I only use Linux (Ubuntu) and know about and have used Navigatrix (but not all the features).

What would you recommend for an HF Ham based email service/system while at sea?

Post subject: Re: Email using Navigatrix
Site Admin

If you have a Pactor Modem you may use Airmail (Manta->SSB Radio->Airmail)
if you do not have a Pactor Modem you may use the Digital Modem instead (Manta->SSB Radio->Digital Modem (fldigi)). Together with PSKMail (Manta->SSB Radio->PSKMail) you may use it for eMail. But you need to be in an area where you can reach a station which supports it, here is a list of stations http://www.pskmail.it/

A Pactor modem is pretty expensive. Isn't that correct?

A digital modem seems a lot easier as I think it just uses an audio interface (not sure though).

Which is the most common device (Pactor or Digital modem) people use for using the ham bands and email?

I've been a ham since 1980 but haven't ever done anything other than voice or cw and the sailboat/Ham band email stuff is completely new to me.

We use http://www.winlink.org/ through a Pactor, running AirMail...on Navigatrix.

But yeah, it's expensive. Well, only the modem and radio.... However, it is so easy a US Extra Class Ham could do it.

The Winmor protocol is in the process of being ported over to the Linux world.

I am interested in this question as well.

One could ask a ham to forward a text message sent over psk31 to an email recipient. Of course then anyone monitoring the exchange would see the message.

Digital modes, in particular psk31 on 20 meters, are something worth trying out as a ham. Probably not the email solution you are seeking but a very interesting, reliable text communication mode.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024