The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Airmail Text message

If I open Airmail program to compose a message I find the text in the message body is invisible as I type. If I highlight the text the text is visible to again be again invisible. How can I change the color in the text body. All other windows are normaly

Can anybudy help

Post subject: Re: Airmail Text message

Turn off the spell checker.

...strange but true.

http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=452

Navigatrix is the most compatable Linux distribution that runs Airmail, but it's not 100%. The Airmail source code is propietary and no one can fix it.

hello Moe,

thanks for the fast replay. The next problem is the graphic on the icons in Airmail. The are displaed not clear and I cannot see the details.

I'm not sure that is fixable. I'll take a look in the next day or so.

(technically neither was the spell checker)

Ok, curiousity got the better of me...I'm just having trouble replicating the problem
Attachment:
Workspace_006.png
Workspace_006.png [ 36.07 KiB | Viewed 14602 times ]
can you describe it?

All the small icons are not clear. It is possible that I have a problem with my graphic installation. I use Ubuntu 13.04 as a basis of Airmail, because the Navigatrix is not provided in German language.

I dont know if you could assist me.

Thanks

It would be easier to make Navigatrix German than fix Ubuntu.

Was your wifi trouble with Ubuntu as well?

No the WIFI adapter was under Navigatrix. If a German version of Navigatrix is possible I will switch. Is it possible to install as second installation Navigatrix on the HD?

Thanks

The first thing. Not all applications have non-english translations.

Check out http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=385...about 5 posts down.

Don't --do not-- follow the instruction exactly or it will come out in Russian.

Instruction to change Menu items that don't get translated can be changed by hand. If you want to do so; give me a specific example of something you would like to change and I'll walk through the process with you. Some applications, like the planetarium (Stellarium), if a translation exists, need to be individually configured.

You could put 6 different installations on your hard drive without any trouble (provided you have space). Some guy, for fun, in a mind bending configuration installed 130..160 something OSs on one machine (with a large drive). I wouldn't recommend it. I get confused with three and cut back.

I will make the change later. Tomorrow I will leave on a vocation to spain. If I have time, I will install Navigatrix on a secound pertion and will see what to deo to get it running.

Thanks

No worries...have a grand time.

And now a tune to carry us out....(sing along if you wish)
Hans Albers
wrote:
Ein Wind weht von Süd
und zieht mich hinaus auf See!
Mein Kind, sei nicht traurig,
tut auch der Abschied weh.
Mein Herz geht an Bord
und fort muß die Reise gehn.
Dein Schmerz wird vergehn
und schön wird das Wiedersehn!
Mich trägt die Sehnsucht
fort in die blaue Ferne.
Unter mir Meer
und über mir Nacht und Sterne.
Vor mir die Welt,
so treibt mich der Wind des Lebens,
wein' nicht, mein Kind,
die Tränen, sie sind vergeben....

Site Admin

What would be required to make NX speak German in addition to EN/ES/FR? Is it only the descriptive texts in the desktop configuration files plus language pack installation (and perhaps a different setting for the fortune telling parrot - probably quoting Nietzsche rather than Larry Wall...)? If so I can put together a set of desktop files with German text labels added. I hear from a friend who runs a sailing school/chartering business back in the fatherland that there are quite a few folks whose only reason to not use nx is the lack of a Teutonic version.

Of course once we go down that route we may find out that a few applications run into trouble with single words of more than 512 characters in length...and future iso downlaods may be closer to 3GB...

Once you have a working copy the e̶n̶t̶i̶r̶e̶ basic German language is available in 3̶ ̶s̶m̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶ Download the 1̶0̶ 15 packages through Menu> Preferences> Language Support.

This package selection is automatic and for reference only
Quote:
323K aspell-de_20120607-1_all.deb
300K firefox-locale-de_23.0+build2-0ubuntu0.13.04.1_i386.deb
9.1K gimp-help-common_2.6.1-1_all.deb
29M gimp-help-de_2.6.1-1_all.deb
326K hunspell-de-at_20120607-1_all.deb
325K hunspell-de-ch_20120607-1_all.deb
325K hunspell-de-de_20120607-1_all.deb
35M kde-l10n-de_4%3a4.10.5-0ubuntu0.1_all.deb
2.0K language-pack-de_1%3a13.04+20130418_all.deb
3.1M language-pack-de-base_1%3a13.04+20130418_all.deb
2.0K language-pack-gnome-de_1%3a13.04+20130418_all.deb
6.8M language-pack-gnome-de-base_1%3a13.04+20130418_all.deb
889K wngerman_20120607-1_all.deb
298K wogerman_1%3a2-28_all.deb
890K wswiss_20120607-1_all.deb
They weigh in at around 200MB installed.

If you are eager and select Install rather than Remind Me Later you get to 'upgrade your other language files first
Quote:
kde-l10n-engb
gimp-help-es
gimp-help-fr
kde-l10n-es
kde-l10n-fr
It's not necessary. Then it is merely dragging the prefered language above the default english. If you have upgraded any of the other application prior to this process you will need to "Reload" or update you package cache. Because Firefox updates every other day and the old data will choke the entire transfer to another language.

If you want the parrot to quote Goethe than you'll need fortune-de (3MB). The man pages for the Übermensch, manpages-de, is 712KB installed. Both are manually installed.

The Menu/Desktop files are "lighter", easy, but more tedious. This involves opening and editing as SuperUser DO the .desktop file with the untranslated item.

For example, this fine little program /usr/share/applications/celnav.desktop looks like
Quote:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Celestial Navigation
Comment=Celestial Navigation
Categories=Navigation
Exec=nxcn
Icon=navtriangle.png
Terminal=false
to make the Menu understandable to anyone who speaks German you would add:

Name[de]=Ein Computerprogramms die geografische Lage der Himmelsbeobachtung finden

and, if you want a brief popup tooltip to remind you what it is;

Comment[de]=celnav

After all that, Bob ist dein Onkel

Site Admin

Thanks, Moe. So for folks who don't habitually press [ctrl]+[alt]+[t] it seems to come down to installing the language pack and the LXDE desktop files... maybe we'll get bored here back in civilization (Port Vila, Efate) and work the desktop-file translations into Nicky's German school curriculum...

Btw, your German reads pretty well... I once heard these three simple pieces of advice to maximize the perceived fluency of your German:

(1) With every third word or so, slam your hand on the table - the louder the better.

(2) Change all your w's to v's: "Vee vould like tvo vone vay tickets to Visconsin".

(3) Start to string together *really* long words... It is a liitle known fact abroad that the daily 8pm 15-newscast on German TV consists of only one single word that includes all the day's news in politics, sports, business - and even the weather.

Thanks, you're too kind. I can find my way around a dicshonary.

I grew up near a few peers who spoke German at home and didn't learn english until they went to public school...such i̶s̶ was the life in North Dakota.

Unfortunate the extent of my german just doesn't cut it anymore as it's limited to: "Ich bin ein hirnlos Vogel" which sadly doesn't get the laugh of surprise it once did.

But yeah, using Language Support is....uh, a no-brainer...sort of.

For bright young lads who can't wait....
Code:
cd /usr/share/applications
and then grab a list
Code:
grep -RL "\[de\]" *.desktop
to recursive list (two sub-directories) all files that do not have german translations. There are some .desktop files in /home ...somewhere, as well.

Not all .desktop files have menu entries...or even executables. Some executables are only capable of one language.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024