The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Iridium connection

Hello, nxers!

I am trying to connect to the internet using nx0.5 and an Iridium 9555. The modem is connected to an usb-serial converter, and it is plugged in the USB.
When I start the satphone app i got this:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot open /dev/ttyACM0: No such file or directory

--------------------------------------------------------
Press [enter] to close this window.

using the lsusb command in a terminal, i can see my serial-usb converter like this:
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 05ad:0fba Y.C. Cable U.S.A., Inc.

How do I mount Bus 004 Device 003 to ttyACM ?
Has anyone an idea?

Thank you very much!

Adrian

Post subject: Re: Iridium connection

If the modem does not come to Adrian...Adrian must go modify the modem configuration file.

You're telling WVdial, " Hey!, look here --->"

But currently "Here" is somewhere you don't have. To find out what you do have dangling out of your telephone open a terminal plug in your phone and execute:
Code:
dmesg | tail
You will get the last 10 lines, the tail end, of the computer log.

It looks like this
Quote:
wadda@mini:~$ dmesg |tail
[44740.514469] usb 3-3: USB disconnect, device number 2
[44740.514603] pl2303 ttyUSB0: pl2303 converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[44740.514625] pl2303 3-3:1.0: device disconnected
[44747.016762] usb 3-3: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[44747.033394] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=2303
[44747.033400] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[44747.033403] usb 3-3: Product: USB-Serial Controller
[44747.033405] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
[44747.033702] pl2303 3-3:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
[44747.034261] usb 3-3: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
I don't have the phone handy, but this is a gps, or one of the many different serial/usb converters. The important thing is now attached to ttyUSB0...that's /dev/ttyUSB0. Find yours and you have a 'here'

Now open the wvdial config file
Code:
sudo medit /etc/wvdial.conf /etc/wvdial.conf.iridium0 /etc/wvdial.conf.iridium1 /etc/wvdial.conf.isatphone0 /etc/wvdial.conf.isatphone1
I've not figured out the different configuration files, but change the instances of /dev/ttyACM0 to whatever you have. Save and exit.

Now when you tell wvdial, " hey look", it's looking in the right place.

I followed the steps, the converter showed up at ttyUSB0, I changed the config file accordingly.
It works very good. Thank you again, Moe!
Just out of curiosity I`ve tried .conf, then iridium0 then iridium1. it works with all three. What are the differences between the files?
Is there any "free" way of using data compression, or I just have to make do with the 0.2ko/s speed?

Thanks!

We were having radio troubles and the cheapest short term fix was to get a satellite phone. When I first using it I thought there was something wrong because the data rates weren't what near what the slick brochure claimed.

David peered into the guts of these satellite connection optimizing applications to see if there was something that we were missing in the initialization commands (AT &F E0 V1 &D2 &C1 W2 S95=47 S0=0 +cbst=71,0,1,e.g.); the commands that set the parameters for the connection.

There were slight variation, more for the type of telephone, but none that improve the speed.

When I arrived is Australia I contacted the original author of the WvDial script we use in Navigatrix. He uses satellite phones to transmit data from un-attended monitoring sites scattered around Antarctica. Every site has a phone that automagically calls up and dumps the data into his computers. I figured he would know.

I asked him about his experience and why my connection were so slow. He said, "No, that's about normal."

Your connection is about normal. The sales material is a bit misleading...not that it is intentionally misleading, but it is best-of-all-possible-worlds optimistic, and frequently given in bits/second and you're seeing the bytes/second. It's the same speed, but 1/8th the number.

The compression that some outfits are offering is the data is zipped into compressed chunks> transmitted> un-packed by software on your end. So rather than getting the plain text for an email your are receiving email5446565efcaee.zip The software keeps track of the details (downloaded or not; deleted or not; to big to send or not; number in the mailbox peaking order; etc.) and then transparently unpacks the data and displays it. Good gains can be made here. It just depends on individual use whether it's worth the price of admission.

They provide other 'compression' features on the fly such as stripping unneccessary data; optimizing or reducing images in size or pixel depth; or using a process called WAN Optimization. This removes the overhead and redundacy of the internet TCP/IP protocol...basically the packaging material, (boxes, lables, acknowledgement, styrofoam peanuts) that surround each packet of data.

The GRIB files you pick up with ZyGrib are about as compress as they can be, aside from the TCP/IP (internet) overhead. Using a similar stratigy the GRIBS are package in .bz2 archives transmitted/store and ZyGrib unpacks them on the fly.

I did look into setting up a WAN Optimized server so Navigatrix users could dial in to have the same service, but the project was shelved because of time, talent and money...isn't that the way it always goes.

Hello, Moe and nxers!

My iridium connection just quit working.
My iridium is connected directly from the grey modem to computers serial port.
It is connected on ttyS0
Look what i get when i try:
Close this window or press ctrl+c inside this window
to abort the current connection. Edit /etc/wvdial.conf
to change the dial parameters for your satellite phone.

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT&F
AT&F
ERROR
--> Bad init string.
--> Initializing modem.
AT&F
ERROR
--> Bad init string.
--> Initializing modem.
AT&F
ERROR
--> Bad init string.

Press [enter] to close this window.

My config file is this:
[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = 008816000025
Password = none
Username = none
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 19200
SetVolume = 2
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = AT&F
Init2 = AT &F E0 V1 &D2 &C1 W2 S95=47 S0=0 +cbst=71,0,1
FlowControl = CRTSCTS

Does anyone have an ida why "Bad init string" message ?
Thanks all!
Adrian

/dev/ttyS0 is a weird port for your computer and phone. ttyS0 is most frequently a traizoidal 9 pin connector that has disappeared from laptops a few years ago.

Thought you had a USB connection from your phone and changed the WvDial configuration file.

If your hardware hasn't changed you need to change yuor cofiguration file to Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0

Hello, Moe!

Yes, before I used it with an usb-serial converter. But since my computer also has a serial port, i decided to use that. OpenCpn works fine via this serial port, and it shows up in opencpn as ttyS0.
So, as an experiment I have connected my satphone through this serial port. Now it does not work with the usb neither via the serial port.
I am afraid that i messed up the .config file. Is there an original set of the iridium0 and iridium1 files available to download frm somewhere?
If I can get those files, I will be able to follow the steps you walked me through above.
Thank you again, Moe!

There's one spot on the internet you can find what you need....

Attachments:
wvdial.conf.tar.gz [505 Bytes]
Downloaded 264 times

You can also run
Code:
sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf.iridium0
                    and/or
sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf.iridium1

man wvdialconf wrote:
wvdialconf detects your modem, its maximum baud rate, and a good ini‐
tialization string and generates or updates the wvdial(1) configuration
file based on this information.

wvdialconf is completely non-interactive. You still need to edit
/etc/wvdial.conf.iridiumX to specify the phone number, login name, and password
of your internet account in order for wvdial(1) to work.

It is safe to run wvdialconf if a configuration file already exists.
In that case, only the Modem, Baud, Init, and Init2 options are changed
in the [Dialer Defaults] section, and only if autodetection is success‐
ful.
The phone number, login name, and password should already be there and stay the same.

Hello!

I tried wvdialconfig, and it worked its magic. Now I can use the satphone from whichever port I want.
Thank you very much again, Moe!

Adrian

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024