The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: ...make changes permanent?

I made my usb-navigatrix using usb-creator-gtk under ubuntu 12.04. When I ran usb-creator I didn't know how to set the size of reserved store space and for my 4GB usb I left the default size of 1GB.

The system was runing fine when booted in my 4GB eeepc 701 or in my AMD64 desktop using a virtual plpbt.iso to boot the stick in a vmware guest machine.

Unfortunately, the changes made (like screen resolution and OpenCPN preferences) where not permanent. Restarting the system I had to redo all the changes.

I find the thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=392
and tried to use the fix command during boot. I had done this with previous navigatrix version 0.4. This time the computer stoped showing the message: Could not find kernel image: fix

I repeat the creation of the usb-navigatrix using 1.7GB of reserved store space and I got the same error. I created the usb stick in a windows XP using navigatrix-setup.exe with the same error.
I'm affraid there is something broken in the script.

How can I fix home-rw and casper-rw and what are theirs recomended sizes?
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: ...make changes permanent?

The Ubuntu startup disk creator does not create the home-rw persistent file...where all the personal/individual settings reside.

Next time you boot up you can fix that by using one of the advanced options further down the menu which is hiding behind <any key> tap.

I'll come back later with specific instruction after I make up a USB stick to remind me of the path. I just don't recall it off hand.

The better tool for setting the size of the persistence file is in the boot menu of the Navigatrix system that was added in nx0.5.

Site Admin

Have you tried pressing <F1> at the beginning of the boot process from the USB stick?
Attachment:
DSCN5503.JPG
DSCN5503.JPG [ 15.86 KiB | Viewed 15910 times ]

Then select "Other options" in the menu that opens:
Attachment:
DSCN5506.JPG
DSCN5506.JPG [ 34.55 KiB | Viewed 15910 times ]

That opens a menu in which you can pick a size for the persistency FS:
Attachment:
DSCN5507.JPG
DSCN5507.JPG [ 73.87 KiB | Viewed 15910 times ]

I think to remember that I used this for my USB stick version of NX0.5 and it worked.

Good luck.

PS, in case there is a reply to this post: will be offline for a week or two and therefore slow to respond...

Yeah, what Marcus said.....

Site Admin

oops - didn't notice that Moe had responded in the meantime...anyway I believe the above still applies

Yeah...what Marcus said. Only he did it better.

Site Admin

Ok - will stay out of the way ... ;)

You all are very quick answering people, don't you?

Ok, I had found that I could define the persistency myself like Marcus shows.
I didn't try F1 but the first ESC while booting shows the same menu.

Unfortunately, I didn' t know how much persistency I should have in my 4GB stick.
That is why I tried the automatic procedure of commanding <fix> during boot, supposing the script would choose the better option for the size of my usb stick.

Anyway, I think the <fix> procedure described in my first message is still broken.

I will try choosing 1GB persistency to test if my changes are being kept.

Thanks for your kind patience.

I tried 1GB and 2GB persistency with the same result: no changes kept. The screen image is still small (800 x 600) and all the changes made in OpenCPN are lost.

When I choose the persistency size and tap <enter> nothing hapens for a while and then the system starts. I don't have a sign that the persistency definition was done. Is this right?

I suppose maybe the plpbt I am using to start booting USB stick could be responsible for not having the persistency defined. I will try to define persistency in a direct boot in my eeepc and report result.

Hang on here...

I'm looking at the boot configuration files that set the sizes of the persistence files, and there are some things/changes in the latest version that are not making sense.

Someone will get back to this.

renatogui wrote:
Unfortunately, I didn' t know how much persistency I should have in my 4GB stick.

Ok, if you have the PAE version, July 5-August 27 my guess is you've run out of space and you are not creating the home-rw file....because there is not enough room.

Let's do some some math and I'll make the wild guess what's happening.

The image is 2.something gigabytes. 2.1GB

Create a 1GB persistence 'area' (300MB/700MB)

A 4GB stick is 3.7GB big...sorry to break the news to you.

This leaves 600MB for personal data; charts; downloads; what you have on your Desktop.

600MB is not a lot of room in my book.

Normally you can't load up more than 600MB. But you didn't have a home-rw persistence file taking up space....so you did load up. You put on charts, etc...or just have an ubuntu created file laying around.

Now when you go to create the two files casper-rw and home-rw there isn't enough space to complete the task.

The easiest solution would be to make the stick over...thereby deleting everything on it.

Do not set any space through Ubuntu. I'm not convinced it's all usable anyway and might be part of the problem.

Use the Navigatrix options Menu to create the persistence files.

Then...install your charts.

If you are using the non-pae version, downloaded after 27/8/2013, the cause and process is the same, but root and home have merged to provide better space utilisation.

I'll have some descriptions of what is going on and recommendations in a few days...many are a little busy right now.

Site Admin

4GB Usb stick with all world cm93 charts and 1GB persistence runs ok with navigatrix non-pae version (august 2013).

My navigatrix is the PAE version (august/2013).
I do not understand clearly how this persistency works.
How is possible to fit a whole world cm93 that is about 1.4GB inside a persistency file of 1GB?

I followed Moe directives in order to define persistency file. I could not install a persistency of 2GB. Maybe 1.5GB could be possible but it is not in the menu. I suggest changing the first menu enter from 1GB to 1.5GB if this is the largest amount of persistency compatible with 4GB pendrives.
I managed to define the 1GB persistency and now I am using only Brazilian coast raster BSB/KAP (180MB) and part of cm93 (south Atlantic, about 20MB).

There is more than 500MB left to extra files and I suppose this is a persistent area either.

Moe: I do not know what you call the nonPAE iso. You and David where talking about creating a PAE iso that could be tricked to find that a nonPAE processor was PAE in order to have a unique iso for all kinds of processors. Is this the new iso? Or you gave up the idea of allowing pendrives > 4GB?

I don't have much time right now so I'll be short.

When you open the File Manager, all the directories on the left side in the "Bookmarks" section (Charts, Documents...Videos) they are written on another part of the stick. They are not concerned about persistence. They are separate. They are different. They will stay regardless if you have 'persistency' or not. It's not magic...it's just the way it is to make the Navigatrix system robust and more universally accessible.

The persistent files are in regard to system files and personal setting and they are magic. I went into a long rave somewhere in this thread http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=357&p=1695. It makes sense to me, but I wrote it. Some of the commands and locations have changed in nx0.5 to accommodate the 3 pre-installed languages. But the function remains.

At this stage it is better/faster/easier to use the options in the boot menu. But there is no way you can (re)create persistence files larger than the space that is available. There, there is no magic. If there is no room the file(s) will not be created and you will not have system/personal setting (like lat/lon) saved from one session to the next.

Adjust your thinking to quantities along 4GB. It functions the same as 8GB . The new non-pae also works the same but now there is only 1 unified persistence file. Use the boot menu options.

I'll mention the difference between pae and non-pae a bit later....it's only important if it doesn't work, or you have more than 4GB RAM.

Thanks for the explanation, Moe.
Reading the thread you mention I can understand at last the structure of navigatrix usb.
I will try to put full cm93 back into the pendrive.download.php

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024