The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: ARM processor?
Site Admin

Hi,
Navigatrix support ARM PC netbooks?
thanks!

Post subject: Re: ARM processor?
Site Admin

Maybe, we would need a ARM processor netbook to give it a try and make the necessary adjustments...

I think its the ideal mariage : http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Site Admin

Where can we order one of these devices ?

They aren`t in production (yet) ,They hope open ordering before ending of the month.

An official Arm port of Navigatrix would be awesome, I was able to compile opencpn for Arm to use it in the Asus Transformer (with an Android and Ubuntu dual-boot) but a dedicated computer like the Rasperry Pi or the Beagle Board with a Power Consumption of around 3W is the way to go

Site Admin

We should make a decision for one device. This way we can optimize the system for this special computer and use as many features as possible.
I would prefere a x86 SOC board like the new Medfield from intel. It has comparable power consumption to an ARM and probably also has the added possibility to run wine. Which would be needed for Airmail.
If we decide for an ARM processor, then the AllWinner Board may be the best. It has a newer ARM processor and 1GB memory on board. But like the PI its almost not available yet.

I don`t like a notebook aboard, i prefer my (jailbreaked)ipad with navionics.
But the raspberrypi is in my eyes the ulimate sailors computer. It`s cheap,fast,low in power consumption. They`re so cheap, you can by one for spare. They are as fast as an Iphone 4. too bad I`m a not that handy with Linux :-( If there`s a Navigatrix port for the Pi, it will be in greater demand than the X86 iso.

http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/default.aspx?cl=1

The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with floating point, running at 700Mhz, and a Videocore 4 GPU. The GPU is capable of BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.

How powerful is it?
The GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode.

The GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24 GFLOPs of general purpose compute and features a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.

That is, graphics capabilities are roughly equivalent to Xbox 1 level of performance. Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics.

More : http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

ARM version Linux version !!http://news.opensuse.org/2012/10/01/announcing-opensuse-on-arm-release-candidate-1/

Hi! is any possibility to make work Navigatrix on Raspi? were a great and simple solution for navigators with little budget

With the advances in ARM architecture it's time to bump this thread. Have Nx running on an elderly Dell Studio laptop, but have always been interested in building an ultra low power, dedicated ships computer. Probably built around an ARM processor due to low power requirements inherent in the architecture.

Just got an email from SolidRun about their new Cubox-i. While it looks like it might be usable, also found the new Utilite, which looks much more promising.

Advantages seem to be the Utilite is actually geared towards use as a basic small form factor computer rather than a development platform while still staying in the same ballpark cost range. Includes 4 usb ports as well as an actual rs-232 serial port (useful for integrating NMEA buss data without rs-232/USB cable) along with the usual bells and whistles. Power is 10V-16V DC tolerant. Full specs etc here. Utilite ships with an ARM based distro of Ubuntu. While both of these machines are in "production" delivery is not going to be happening till sometime in November depending where you are on the waiting list.

As it looks as if I will be stuck here till early 2014 (Job offer I couldn't refuse) I might be in the position to "donate" a Utilite box to Nx developers in order to facilitate a Nx ARM compatible distro. I have contacted the mfg as to updates on availability

What do you think?

There are a few things, for me, that say wait on both.

I think they are revenue generating so they'll have enough money to build it. Nothing has hit the market from them.

A development board with this chipset family was released a year ago at the 100 buck level. They're still shovelling upgraded development boards out the door for 100 bucks. It is possible with a price reduced 5 bucks someone has restructured the board, added a step down power converter, and put it in case if pre-ordered with no date of delivery, or range. So far the only exchange is money and promises.

Personally, I hate the "Prices Slashed--Buy Now" sales pitch...particularly for something that isn't even on the shelves.

Another thing that effects me viscerally is the 'asterisks' e.g., Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps (*)*but it's not really.

I'm leery of slick catchphrases. Frankly catchphrases make me suspicious.

So aside from they are not available, yet...and my own neuroses. A board is what is needed. Kernels are not the problem; finding a board with enough grunt is...and accepting there will be no Airmail or Wine.

While a number of people have put OpenCPN on a Raspberry Pi, there are two people who are familiar with Navigatrix who were not impressed. I, as a third person, overclocked a Raspberry PI with OpenCPN and, while it does run, I would slash my wrists if I had to use it...again, that's just me and my idiosyncrasies.

Last Tuesday I went to a 'hackerspace' to see people who do similar things for a day job but have to thinker weeknights and weekends. I explained the situation and the general feedback was, "Keep looking. Who knows what will be available in December."

...running with the herd is a safe bet, but it is also a logical pitfall (argumentum ad populum)

So now you know what I think is based on neuroses, general paranoia, and a logical fallacy.

Points taken.... suppose better to upgrade the power reserves to handle the load rather than reduce the load with an unknown quantity. Just gripes me that the computer is the biggest load on the boat. Need one that runs on kero...

Don't rush out and beef up your electrical just yet.

Rushing anything is not my style.... means I would have to make a decision. Mañana
does not mean tomorrow, just means not today.

Or did you find that kero powered laptop?

You might not find a kero powered lappy but heres a solar powered one!
http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/sol ... ntu/031561

Hi All,

I am new to this site and am interested in getting this distro on an ARM device.
I have currently completed my project of getting opencpn, 4GB worth of charts and a mix of ancillaries(GPS, Weather and Radar) through HDMI working on a cubieboard. This is a low power (I am running it on 1A, but it will run on 500mA) single board computer (SBC) with A10 processor, 1GB Ram and a Mali400 3d graphics chip. www.cubieboard.org
If the developers of Navigatrix are willing.... I could try to get Navigatrix working on this.
If anyone would like me to try then just let me know....
I am not a yachty... my brother is, I am trying to build him an all in one bit of kit for his trip of sailing around the world next year..... So I may need help understanding what exactly a "yachty" would like....
Cheers......

Site Admin

Sure it would be great to have all the tools running on a efficient low power computer. We where already playing with the raspberry pi and some people with a beaglebone. The Cubieboard seems to have even better specifications. But looks like its not available now. The main reason for sticking to x86 was the price tag, speed, compatibility and availability. After all a low power netbook draws like 9 watt harddisk and screen turned off. Another thing, SSB over Pactor runs only on wine which is unable to run ARM.
Still, it would be cool to have a navigatrix ARM version and the cubie board may even offer additional possibilities. So please try and ask anything you want. I will help if i can.

Hi David thanks for replying.
The cubieboard is a great bit of kit, I have been playing with it for about two months now and have just ordered a cubieboard2, which is even more powerful than the original one.
There was a bit of fiddling about to do, but I eventually got a working image with opencpn, with radar, gps and weather going. Although I had to reduce the charts opencpn loads by default (20) to 8... which works very smoothly. 10 to 14 works well but anymore than this and it starts to stutter with the quilting turned on..... maybe its me being impatient :lol:
AIS functions work as expected and the weather input overlays well, but I did notice that if a large storm front was appearing, it did slow it down just a little... again maybe it is just me being super critical.
The cubieboard2 will be arriving in two days, and I will post my findings possibly by the middle of next week..... But I have my eye on a Radxa board, which is at this moment in prototype phase and maybe released by early November.... fingers crossed, as I think this is the board to go for with regards to power consumption vs performance (2.5A for something that is equal to a desktop pc). I have pre ordered a utilite which is similar, but comes in a pretty box.... so I have a few ideas in the pipeline....
If anyone wants to post a wishlist of apps etc, I can see what I can build as an image for people to download. Also if anyone wants any help... then just ask.... the more the merrier as they say....
I will look at the SSB, as I am sure I saw something yesterday for SSB under Linux on ARM, and I know that through my security work, that all radio is available on linux.... if you look at kali linux distro... this has a multitude of radio applications for linux... and Kali works on ARM, so maybe we can come up with something there.....
Is there either a repo or ftp where I can have a look at the source for Navigatrix? or someone can tell me what the base kernels are etc... so I can start to get something concrete going.....
Cheers All...... have a good one and be safe....

@lowsheng

Just got my pre-order invitation from Utilite today... Must be nice to have so much business your sales are by invitation only. Be interested to find out how it works for you when you get it. Hard to argue with the price but boat bucks have to go else where right now. Still trying to tame the power use on this old Dell. Currently the biggest single power sucker on the boat. Where's me hammer?

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024