The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: BSB Charts

I have installed Navigatrix with OpenCpn. Problem i have to install BSB/Kap Maps from OpenSeamap. The plugin is only for Windows version. is there a solution to this.

Post subject: Re: BSB Charts

I went looking for OpenSeaMaps and I can't find charts related to the link above to examine them or on another website.

OpenCPN reads BSB/KAP files natively.

...so, it looks like I don't understand the question.

I have downloaded maps from Openseamap and have them installed but can see only black on the sceen. There is a plugin on the OpenCpn side for BSB/Kap charts, but this plug in is only for windows. I dont kmow what to do.

I have installed the win-opencpn and the plugin BSB 4 within window 7. After installing the chart from openseamap the chart for the caribbean all is fine and the chrt could be displayed.

Ferdinand

I final found some OpenSeaMap Charts for a Garmin Chartplotter. Are these the charts to which you are referring?

The other item that has me confused is why OpenSeaMaps would be in BSB4 format?

BSB4 is encrypted. I don't see 'open' in 'encrypted'.

Now, as far as a Linux BSB4 plugin for OpenCPN....

Even though most charts are the product of various public/governmental agencies, some private interest have repackaged this data and want money...a lot of money.

I might be wrong, but I don't see an open source plugin happening any time soon.

Progress on the OSM front.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Imgread.c

This attached application will read garmin.img files and place them in a sub-directory.

Unfortunately the files are .str, .lbl, .rgn, and .tre format and getting them into a usable form will take more investigation by someone with more time. Go for it.

Attachments:
File comment: .doc extension is just to allow it to be attached to the post. It can be removed, or not, as you choose.
imageread.doc [17.47 KiB]
Downloaded 174 times

For the Garmin openseamap has a file compiled availabble. OpenCpn has a plugin for BSB Format for Windows. This I have tried and it is working.

Ferdinand

Yes, I've understood from the beginning whatever it is 'works' in the Windows world. But, as far as I can tell the Garmin/OSM charts are not BSB. I've not encountered this format before. I can't find where
Quote:
The following chart-formats are available:
KAP non Maptech BSB/KAP
WCI SeaClear
PNG picture-file (frameless)
JPR Fugawi calibration-file
CAL TTQV calibration-file
KMZ Keyhole Markup Language (KML zipped) import for Garmin or Google
are located.

This might be a question for the OpenCPN people about a Linux plugin to do the same thing, or a question for the OpenSeaMap folk why they are using what looks to be either propriety format, an 'un-open' format, or at least uncommon outside the Garmin world format. Because I'm missing something crucial and might have not read the fine print that OpenSeaMap is only propriety as well... as opposed to http://sourceforge.net/projects/opennautical/...which is.

A plugin for BSB4 encrypted format is not likely going to happen, there is too much money to be made.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024