The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Secret password? magnet to transmission problems....

After many miles and two oceans with the 'old' Navigatrix running as smooth as you like. I decided to up grade to the new Navigatrix. I have now installed it twice, my problems are both times is that

1/
I can't get to the root after I enter 'su' into the terminal it asks for the password. I put in the only password I used during the instalation and it doesn't work. Is there a default pw or am I missing some thing...?

2/
I can't get the magnets to ascociat with the 'Transmission' program, no drag and drop.... What do I need to do please?

Any help greatfully accepted! Needosh....

Post subject: Re: Secret password? magnet to transmission problems....

The root password is not set. (It actually is a security feature that most of us don't have to worry about.) This is why you're having trouble.

The way to do 'root' things is via sudo;
Code:
wadda@mini:~$ sudo updatedb
for example. Or,
Code:
wadda@mini:~$ sudo -s
to give a root terminal.

You can even set your root password if you want
Code:
wadda@mini:~$ sudo passwd root
It will ask you for a password -twice- and then set it so you could log it as root...not really necessary because you can do as much damage with sudo, but possibly helpful in 'extremely very rare' situations.

To give Transmission personality:
  • Open the browser. Type about:config into the address bar and hit <Enter>.
  • On the table of "Preference Names": Right Click -> New -> Boolean -> Name: network.protocol-handler.external.magnet -> Value -> true
  • Repeat: Right Click -> New -> String -> Name: network.protocol-handler.app.magnet -> Value -> /usr/bin/transmission-gtk
  • Ensure network.protocol-handler.expose-all is set to true...it is, but check. Right Click on it -> Toggle; if it's not.

Now when you select a magnet link the browser it will ask for the application to be set. Chase down /usr/bin/transmission-gtk; Select it; Remember to check the 'remember' box; Ok your way out...and you're good to go.

Oh, and because I remembered...

If you type in a command and it doesn't like it because you're not root...
Code:
sudo !!
and it will re-issue the last command sudo <whatever>

Hi Moe!

well, I did all the entering as shown on your responce re my problems with magnet association,

now when I try to down load a tortrent Transmission says:

error : no data found! Ensure your drives are connected or use “Set location” . To re-download, remove the torrent and re add it...

It was seeming to work then I tried it in TOR and that is when this happened..

I feel we are soooo close!

Kindest regards Needosh... (E)

Just as a PS, how do I get the dictionary turned on? I have ticked 'Check spelling' but it duznt!! LOL..

Yeah, Ed. This is what I see going on.

Whatever you did worked once. So we can assume the process was right, or mostly right.

Computer always work in repeatable, predictable ways, unless they really want to mess with our heads and operate in a truly intermittent and random fashion.

However, it didn't 'remember' so this raises other questions...like, why? Or, how do I make those changes persist, or carry over, from one boot to the next?

Is there something special that needs to be done in the USB media that is different that a hard drive installation? (...as it worked in the latter case.)

Is there something wrong with the USB installation of the system, or just something over looked?

The Firefox spellchecker is a current Firefox quirk. It appears to turn off with no identifiable action on 'my' part...even with non-Navigatrix installations.

Right click on an 'editable' box, like a post to the Forum.
Attachment:
Navigatrix.net • A Voyager's Companion • Edit post - Mozilla Firefox_026.png
Navigatrix.net • A Voyager's Companion • Edit post - Mozilla Firefox_026.png [ 47.99 KiB | Viewed 11138 times ]
Ensure Check Spelling is ticked. And select your poison.

I have no idea how it comes undone.

Hi there, (Moe?)

thanks for your help, I now have spell checking, a-n-d.... can use the Transmission program but with out TOR, if I use the TOR browser puts the magnet in the browser address slot and announces :

'The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (magnet) isn't associated with any program.

you might need to install other software to open this address.

I have done the same procedure on the TOR browser as you recommended on you penultimate post...

I thank you for your help and patience...

Kind regards Ed

The Tor browser is another browser that is similar to Firefox...but not quite the same.

It lacks some MIME definitions to make it work.

If you have the magnet working in Firefox, and you have done the same process in my antepenultimate post to the Tor browser...the easiest way to add the MIME descriptors to the Tor browser is too copy the file

~/.mozilla/firefox/whatever_the directory_is_called/mimeTypes.rdf

to /opt/TorBrowser/Data/profile/mimeType.rdf overwritting the one that's there.

Fire up the Tor browser....

Click on a magnet link URL and agree that you want to associate those links with that MIME type.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024