The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: How to start Wine - Howk, to start i.e. Outlook from wine?

Hi,
sorry but I'm in Tonga and only have limited internet, i.e. I quickly searched the forum and couldn't find a quick answer.

I installed MS Outlook on my Navigatrix notebook (CQ50, with Vista preinst).
However, I don't know how to execute either wine nor outlook nor how those work together.

I did go to to /opt/ and see wine there, but no executeable file.
And also no outlook. Just calibre and zyGrib...
Does it mean installation hadn't worked...?

Thanks
Iris

Post subject: Re: How to start Wine - Howk, to start i.e. Outlook from wi

Internet in Tonga is a trial in itself. If you're in Vava'u the best spot (rumour is there are new, or potentially new, owners) is Lisa's Cafe Tropicana. Although she charges for connection time, it's faster; it's cheaper and with less interruptions than the 'free' spots. Lisa's ex did a good job of setting up the network. In my opinion it is the place if you're serious about a connection.

Wine does squirrelly things to make MSWindows applications work...with varying degrees of success. MSOutlook in the Wine database only gets a 'silver'.

However, if you're keen on MSOutlook it is most likely hiding in the 'hidden' wine directory.

Files and directories that have a name beginning with a period/dot by default don't list to avoid cluttering.

To view 'hidden' files you'll need to 'turn their display on' in the File Manager. Tools> View Hidden Files.

The 'wine drive', for example, is /home/moe/.wine/drive_c/Program Files. Your home location will have your username.

Locate the executable and double click it or right click and launch via "Wine Windows Program Loader" If it works well enough a menu entry can be created.

If it doesn't work so well, there are other options; Thunderbird, or Evolution installed via the Package Manager (click 'reload' first, if you've not ever done it) or sudo apt-get update and either sudo apt-get install thunderbird or sudo apt-get install evolution respectively...but you might want to wait until NZ and spend your time with the whales, visiting Tupou's village, Utelei,...or some of the other interesting places.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024