The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: can i keep my laptop on all the time?

Hi,

With the windows system, i been conditioned to leave the laptop on and not shutting it down (power off) when I am not using it; i just close the lid (i think it goes into hibernation or something). The main reason to do this is that it takes so blooming long to reboot a window system (and seems to get longer each time!). However, i still have to reboot once in a while, as apparently the windows registry and other caches etc gets all bogged up and the system slows down.

The question:
Is this the same for the nx system, or can I just close the lid without having to worry about rebooting at all?

Thanks,
Ken

Post subject: Re: can i keep my laptop on all the time?

What happens in a 'hibernation' is the system is stopped and the contents of the memory that needs power to 'remember' is written to a large file somewhere on the drive. Plus it leaves a note that says, "Oh, on the next boot load this huge file into memory just the way it was...and pretend nothing happened." Voila, back out of hibernation.

The problem on a LiveCD installation is there is no space created for that memory to be written. It can't go into hibernation.

To use hibernation, or suspend, you need to have a hard drive installation.

...and while I hear it's possible to make a USB stick like a small SSD I'm not sure the squeeze is worth the juice....or is that juice worth...ah, never mind.

If you do have a hard drive installation you might want to check the Menu> Preferences> Power Manager to see if you need to change the settings to do what you think it should be doing.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024