The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: driver install for wifi antenna

Hi, I am new to nz, new to Linux aswell though been considering it for some years. Professional Mac OS user for 20+ years a damping factor...

Anyway, I've got it all up and running and am happy with it.

The sole problem is: I have a SINMAX wifi-antenna mod: S1-5000 UGL
s/n 49CF10093514 MAC 00F10490089.

I tried just by simply connecting it (USB) but it didn't do it for me. I've got drivers on a little CD Rom for Mac, Win and Linux. The 'read me-file seems beyond my knowledge to install it. Is it really that complicated to do the normally simple task of installing a driver?

I suspect, and hope, there is a simple way....!? Any advice appreciated.

Fair winds, MAgnus, currently in FrPol

Post subject: Re: driver install for wifi antenna

Your thingy looks like it's a knock off Alfa AWUS036xx that has a Realtek chip. At first blush it should work, but I'll look a little deeper and come back with some fun things to try.

...just curious, did you get this in Mexico?

In the meantime lets find out what you're plugging in....

Open a terminal (<ctrl><alt><t>); at the prompt enter:
Code:
lsusb
It will print out 6-8 lines of text.
Code:
moe@example:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 20f4:648b TRENDnet TEW-648UBM 802.11n 150Mbps Micro Wireless N Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
This tells us what seat each device has on the bus. The ID 20f4:648b tells us the Manufacturer; and after the colon: the product. So humans don't feel neglected it may also give the name of the manufacturer, the product and less frequently, a hint about what it does.

Cut'n'paste the output so we can see.

And while you're basking in the Kiwi sun, what are the names of the linux files on your little CD?

Hi Moe, thanks for the kind advice, I haven't had access to internet in a while, hence the late response.

I actually did buy it in MX from a 'gringo' who had a few of these on his boat. Dunno if it helps, but the 'thingy'
does lit when plugged in, just don't pick up any signals.(and yes, it does on other OS's)

This is what the terminal window tells us:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter

Attached screenshot of the Linux drivers folder.

Cheers//Magnus P.S. We're not in the KIwi sun, but in the GAmbiers, Fr. Polynesia D.S
Attachment:
linuxdriver.png
linuxdriver.png [ 54.8 KiB | Viewed 11226 times ]

NZ to the Gabier...no wonder you did have net connection for a while.

The bad news is in research this problem I read conflicting solutions.

One camp says the 'built in' modules are bogus and one needs to get (and build) the modules from the source.

The other camp says the modules built from source are the way to go because there's something funky with the built in.

To complicate matters, what you have is an Alfa clone. It could be a bunch of rejected Alfas might have been re-packaged and dumped on the market. They got some money and you have a dead horse...and any recourse is not worth the effort.

Does this wifi adapter work with your Mac?...or any other system?

The good news is; essentially, you have already tested one strategy. If it does work on other systems...that is the third strategy. The final option is to use the source code that came with the adapter. You have the tools to build the module(s). The instructions should be in the 'ReadMe' file.

If you have any questions about the process let me know.

Thanks again for the input!

It does work both on windows and Mac, with the drivers that came with it. Seems a bit beyond my (current) knowledge to make it work with
Navigatrix/Linux but I'll leave it for now. We've got a NanoStation 2 on board as well and it's OS neutral so no worries. Always nice with multiple
options as backup though.

We haven't yet visited NZ but spent 11 months in Gambiers after a passage from Colombia and Ecuador.

Oh...
svnanna wrote:
Hi, I am new to nz,
is a typo!

I thought you just liked doing things the hard way.

Building a new module from source is actually easier than sailing to the Gambier. It's easier than writing an email....shhhh.

Try it. What's the worst that could happen?

Since the code is on a CD; copy the contents of the directory you showed in the screenshot to a writeable space with the File Manager.

You're going to be using the terminal so create a new directory in a visible place.
Code:
mkdir /home/nx/Downloads/wifisource
...or whatever. You could create the new directory with the File Manager. It doesn't matter.

I like the visual drag'n'drop of the File Manager so I can *see* that it has done what I think it was suppose to do...so I'd open two windows of the File Manager and drag the contents of the Linux directory over to the newly created one.

Now change the terminal to that new directory
Code:
cd /home/nx/Download/wifisource

make sure the makefile is visible with
Code:
ls
It should show up in the list.

Try:
Code:
make
if it comes back fat and happy, or if there are any errors, but no fatal errors....
Code:
sudo make install

Lets see how far that gets us.

Oh, now I understand your comment re. NZ! :o Yes it was a typo

Thanks :o for your enthusiasm and patience. Will look into it within a few weeks. Right now we're heading over to the Societies for a much needed haul-out, then I will have some time, it's always fun to learn- or at least try- new things :ugeek:

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024