The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Re: Shipmodul MiniPlex USB

A working permutation I have not tested is if I actually used a Garmin International GPSmap (various models).

Other than that; using two gps units...even no gps at all, on three different Linux systems it appears it's not an error but we always see it.

I'm speculating with the 'right' gps it might say gpsd:SHOUT: vendor/product match with 091e:0003 found.

I am reviving this thread, which dealt with an issue getting my ShipModul MiniPlex to work. We had managed to solve this, but that was using Navigatrix 0.5 (Sept 2013). However, I have been trying to set up Navigatrix 0.5 (August 2014), which seems to be based on a newer kernel.

In doing so, my Shipmodul MiniPlex was once again broken. Applying fixes discussed earlier in the thread did not work this time. In fact, I was set further back than ever before, because /dev/ttyUSBx was never created. I traced this to the ftdi_sio driver not being loaded : lsmod | grep ftdi returned nothing. dmesg further instructed me that :

Code:
[  406.535731] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
[  406.698006] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=fd49
[  406.698011] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  406.698014] usb 2-1: Product: ShipModul MiniPlex-2USB
[  406.698016] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: CustomWare
[  406.698018] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 21000900
[...]
[ 1007.725956] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[ 1007.726445] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[ 1007.726914] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[ 1007.727991] ftdi_sio: unknown parameter 'vendor' ignored
[ 1007.727993] ftdi_sio: unknown parameter 'product' ignored
[ 1007.728549] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
[ 1007.729043] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device

Thanks to several pages, including http://www.leniwiec.org/en/2014/06/25/ubuntu-14-04lts-how-to-pass-id-vendor-and-id-product-to-ftdi_sio-driver/ which put me on the right track, I found a working solution.

My installation process for the Shipmodul Miniplex has been fairly modified.
I include it hereunder for others which might have the same issue :

Create /etc/modprobe.d/usbserial.conf with content
Code:
insmod ftdi_sio

Include the following content in /etc/rc.local content
Code:
modprobe ftdi_sio
chmod 775 /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id
sudo echo 0403 fd49 > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id

Note that here I had to include a chmod permission change, since for some reason I was getting a Permission denied error that others do not seem to get.

Create /etc/udev/rules.d/98-gps.rules with content
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="fd49", ACTION=="add", SYMLINK+="miniplex", RUN+="/bin/stty -F /dev/miniplex 57600", RUN+="/lib/udev/gpsd.hotplug"

GPSD can now find the Miniplex automatically, and alternatively you can use it with the unvarying name /dev/miniplex .

Hello,
I am also trying to get my Miniplex USB working. I am not an experienced linux user.
With text editor i made a text : insmod ftdi_sio and tried to save it in /etc/modprobe.d with the name usbserial.conf
I get a message permission denied.
I understand I have todo something with chmod but What and How.

rein wrote:
Hello,
I am also trying to get my Miniplex USB working. I am not an experienced linux user.
With text editor i made a text : insmod ftdi_sio and tried to save it in /etc/modprobe.d with the name usbserial.conf
I get a message permission denied.
I understand I have todo something with chmod but What and How.

Hi rein, in most cases, you will need to edit these files using "administrator" (or "root", or "super-user") rights, and not simple "user" rights.

To do so, there are several possibilities, but one of them would be to simply execute this in terminal :
Code:
sudo medit /etc/modprobe.d/usbserial.conf

You will be asked for the administrator password, and then you will be editing as administrator : "sudo" stands for "do as super-user". For most configuration files, you will have to edit them using "sudo".

Merci à "belle-isle" pour son travail. Je viens de tester ses derniers suggestions et cela fonctionne parfaitement.

Thank's to "belle-isle" for his work. I just tested his latest suggestions and it works perfectly.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024