The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: boot from USB doesn't work

I've done step 1 and 2 and installed navigatrix on the usb pen. Then restarting the PC I'm selecting boot from USB, it runs a little bit, then it stops without any particular message. It says port 1:device connected, NO HD, port2: device connected
Nothing else happens.
What should I do?

Post subject: Re: boot from USB doesn't work

It sounds like you are not even getting out of your BIOS.

That is, the computer knows there is something stuck in its side, but doesn't know what to do with it.

Depending on the model; some machines think a LiveCD is a hard drive...some think it's a CD. The settings are in your machine, and I don't know what they are. Check your BIOS/UEFI setting. Try another USB slot.

The other situation is a faulty creation of the USB stick; corrupted ISO; incomplete installation for whatever reason. They usually return different errors...GRUB>; No Operating System Found...etc.

I'm not sure what Steps 1 and 2 are, but if it came from the fabulous Navigatrix documentation written by reknown international authors and bluewater sailors...it must be right.

Site Admin

Maybe this also helps... quoting a link from Moe to another user's instructions for creating a bootable "stick" with NX0.5: http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=529&p=2597&hilit=other+options#p2597

Or, this...
Quote:
Booting the Computer from USB

Remove all unneeded USB items, but keep the network cable attached.

Insert the bootable USB flash drive that you just created in your target computer and restart it. Most newer computers can boot from a USB flash drive. If your computer does not automatically do so, you might need to edit the BIOS settings.

Restart your computer, and watch for a message telling you which key to press to enter the BIOS setup. It will usually be one of F1, F2, DEL, ESC or F10. Press this key while your computer is booting to edit your BIOS settings. (On HP Mini Netbooks, they correct key is usually F9.)

Instead of editing BIOS settings, you can chose a boot device from the boot menu. Press the function key to enter the boot menu when your computer is booting. Typically, the boot screen displays which key you need to press. It maybe one of F12, F10. Note: with some motherboards you have to select 'hard disk/USB-HDD0' to choose the USB flash disk. It may work like this because the system sees the USB drive 'a mass storage device' as a hard disk drive, and it should be at the top of the boot order list.

So you need to edit the Boot Order. Depending on your computer, and how your USB key was formatted, you should see an entry for "removable drive" or "USB media". Move this to the top of the list to make the computer attempt to boot from the USB device before booting from the hard disk.

Some other people are having trouble with USB sticks and it seems to be related to U3/Startkey. This is a wikipedia about U3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

There is a tool to remove this partition: http://u3-tool.sourceforge.net/. I've never used it.

I think I've run into this U3/Startkey before, but I just nuked the whole stick and created a new partition table with the Partition Editor (gparted) so I never noticed.

I've checked all your advices, redone everything, ad now tryingt to bbot from USB I get plpbtldr.bin: eroor loading plpbt.bin

Any idea? Where am I wrong?

...apparently taking advice from me?

Go over why you are using Plop.

What sort of machine you are trying to use.

What you have done in "Steps 1 and 2" specifically...as I don't know what they are.

Site Admin

Just wanted to point out that the u3-tool comes with navigatrix. the command from the terminal would be:

sudo u3-tool -p 0 /dev/sd<yourdevice>

i had the same problem a while ago and could solve it this way.

Those caught in the chicken/egg dilemma would still need to use the tool located:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/u3-tool/files/u3-tool/0.3/u3-tool.exe/download

It is the MS Windows executable program.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024