The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: save my touch screen settings to USB boot?

I am using a USB boot install at my Beijer touch panel PC. everything works fine exept from saving personal settings like updated touch screen driver.

I follow this procedure for calibrating my touch screen:
http://www.thefanclub.co.za/how-to/how- ... alibration

Before rebboting my PC, the touchscreen works fine after i have done this.

Then i used the command "savecfg" in a terminal window. Then all my personal settings in OpenCPN was saved to my USB. Even after reboot.

But still not the touch screen driver..

Any suggestions?

BR
Edgar

Post subject: Re: save my touch screen settings to USB boot?

I think you're working too hard...if your OpenCPN setting are carrying over from one boot to the next

After Step 5. Update X11 evdev configuration.

sudo medit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

Save the configuration file and exit the text editor....and that's it.

I've not looked into the mechanics of savecfg, but I think it's to save configuration when migrating from a LiveCD to a hard disk, or, apparently, re-building after deleting your persistence file.

I don't know what's going on in the dark, but I'm guessing you're 'un-doing' the edit to the X11 evdev configuration file...paradoxically, because either of the two conditions; 1) migrating to a hd, or 2) re-building; are not there.

Since I'm guessing, in the meantime; Try it without savecfg, and someone will see if this guess is even valid.

I just took a look at /usr/local/bin/savecfg to see what's going on and I revise my guess.

I'm guessing you created the LiveCD on a Linux system and don't have a persistence file.

Executing savecfg preserves your OpenCPN settings, for example, but none of the modifications to the system files found in the /usr branch partially masking the absence of a persistence file.

On the next boot hit <F1> select Other Options and the create a persistence file suitable for the size USB you're using.

Make the modifications to your touch screen configuration file and point and poke away.

I downloaded the ISO from this Site. Used Unebootin for makeing a bootable USB, aldri set 1500 Mb for persictens use, that is it.

During start up i get several choises, i use default with countdown timeout. This because i dont want to install a keyboard in ny boat.
I would prefered to Get only the navigatrix picture at once.

I will try your suggestion, thanks!

Unetbootin just fails to make a persistence file regardless of the setting. I've not figured out what it does...it just doesn't make the persistence file for Navigatrix.

When Navigatrix boots from the stick there is a blue screen with 4 function keys listed <F1><F2><F3><F4> linked to menu options in various languages.

Select one.

Select "Other Options" in the menu that pops up.

Select Create 1/2/or 4GB Persistence File.

The rule of thumb is
  • 1- 4GB
  • 2- 8GB
  • 4- 16GB or larger

When that is grinding away, grab a quick beer; it takes a few minutes.

The system will boot when it is finished.

Modify your configuration file (one last time)...and Bob's your uncle.

Sorry...just clued into the problem of no-keyboard.

You can modify the boot process....let me figure out how that can be done without profanity.

Locate the file /isolinux/isolinux.cfg. The top looks like
Code:
MENU INCLUDE vesa.cfg
UI vesamenu.c32
MENU TITLE NAVIGATRIX USB OPTIONS
MENU ROWS 8
MENU AUTOBOOT <F1> Help - <F2> Ayuda - <F3> Assistant - <F4> Hilfe
MENU HIDDEN
TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT nx
Change DEFAULT nx to DEFAULT fix1, DEFAULT fix2, or DEFAULT fix4 depending on your choice.

Save the file, boot, modify the touch screen config...and then change the isolinux.cfg file back to the original or you'll chase your tail.

It should go, but I don't have a stick to test right now.

re:
Pled74 wrote:
I am using a USB boot install at my Beijer touch panel PC. everything works fine exept from saving personal settings like updated touch screen driver.I follow this procedure for calibrating my touch screen:
http://www.thefanclub.co.za/how-to/how- ... alibration
Before rebboting my PC, the touchscreen works fine after i have done this.
Then i used the command "savecfg" in a terminal window. Then all my personal settings in OpenCPN was saved to my USB. Even after reboot.
But still not the touch screen driver..
Any suggestions?BREdgar

Try the instructions from this link:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panason ... ost9334740

Moe wrote:
Locate the file /isolinux/isolinux.cfg. The top looks like
Code:
MENU INCLUDE vesa.cfg
UI vesamenu.c32
MENU TITLE NAVIGATRIX USB OPTIONS
MENU ROWS 8
MENU AUTOBOOT <F1> Help - <F2> Ayuda - <F3> Assistant - <F4> Hilfe
MENU HIDDEN
TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT nx
Change DEFAULT nx to DEFAULT fix1, DEFAULT fix2, or DEFAULT fix4 depending on your choice.

Save the file, boot, modify the touch screen config...and then change the isolinux.cfg file back to the original or you'll chase your tail.

It should go, but I don't have a stick to test right now.

Hi, long time.. actually i have to prepare the boat for the summer as well.. :lol:

I have booted by using create 1 GB persient install.
But either way, my touch screen will not save.

Then i tried to locate isolinux floder and .cfg file, but cannot find it.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. The only way to edit /isolinux/isolinux.cfg. is through another system...like the one you created the LiveCD with....

Depending on the structure of your other system it might be located at /media/<username>/<device-name>/isolinux/isolinux.cfg or a similar permutation.

Otherwise the file is located /cdrom/isolinux/isolinux.cfg. but is read-only and cannot be changed.

Moe wrote:
I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. The only way to edit /isolinux/isolinux.cfg. is through another system...like the one you created the LiveCD with....

Depending on the structure of your other system it might be located at /media/<username>/<device-name>/isolinux/isolinux.cfg or a similar permutation.

Otherwise the file is located /cdrom/isolinux/isolinux.cfg. but is read-only and cannot be changed.

Hi,
Have i created a Live CD? :oops:
Actually i just used Unebootin to make a bootable USB. When starting up my screen i get the choices (i use the bolded one):

Default nx
Navigatrix
Navigatrix (english)
Navigatrix (some other language)
Navigatrix (some other language)
Create Navigatrix 1GB Persistence
Create Navigatrix 2GB Persistence
Create Navigatrix 4GB Persistence
Create Navigatrix 8GB Persistence

Should i use the Unebootin to edit isolinux.cfg file?
Sorry for not following..

The isolinux.cfg is a text file. In this directory are the 'backroom' instructions for what you see when the machine boots. Typically they are the menu options; how those options are displaced; and instructions to carry out those choices.

You would use a text editor to make the changes.

Easy to modify. Easy to muck up. For more info....http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#How_do_I_Configure_SYSLINUX.3F

Since you are using Ubuntu this might also be of interest to you.

http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=627&p=3148&hilit=gtk#p3148

...although the issue of the boot loaders is not currently your problem with a keyboardless boot. It's just something to remember if, in creating this persistent file and it doesn't work properly....mostly because of Unetbootin.

Actually, now that I think about it... This is the same Unetbootin problem I mentioned in the previous post.

You would be seeing a different (the correct) menu if it was made with Startup Disk Creator. The creation of the persistence is on a submenu...inaccessible on an unconfigured touchpad.

Where can i download this Startup disk creator, exept from downloading complete Ubuntu and start it from there?
Is it possible to download just the application as i did with Unebootin?

I'm confused, I thought you used a Linux system to create the LiveCD.

Pled74 wrote:
Hi,
Have i created a Live CD?
Actually i just used Unebootin to make a bootable USB. When starting up my screen i get the choices (i use the bolded one):
Unetbootin is the LiveCD creating tool used by Ubuntu and kin.

I am also confused.. :oops:
I will try to explain with summary:

1. I downlodad unebootin
2. I downloaded navigatrix ISO file
3. I I used unebootin to create USB boot disk from ISO file
4. I use this USB to boot (and get some saving + touchpad + start up issues)

5. You tell me that unebootin fails at some points, and i should use startup disk creator in stead
6. I start searching the web to find a "startup disk creator" download similar to unebootin. (but cannot find anything)
7. I have not installed ubuntu at any computer and not able to run startup disk creator.
8. As far as i know (from my readings and investigation) i have not created a "LiveCD" (I don't know what that is actually)

So what's next?

Thanks for your help

Ok,
Pled74 wrote:
I downloaded the ISO from this Site. Used Unebootin for makeing a bootable USB, aldri set 1500 Mb for persictens use, that is it.
What operating system did you use to create the LiveCD (USB)? Is this how you created the LiveCD?

Attachments:
WindowsXP_create_Navigatrix_USB.mp4 [5.95 MiB]
Downloaded 234 times

I'm sorry for the confusion. The navigatrix-setup.exe creates the directory we are looking for as syslinux.

The process is reverse so the boot doesn't reconstruct the persistence file every time you boot.

Attachments:
edit.syslinux.cfg.default.mp4 [1.08 MiB]
Downloaded 208 times

Moe wrote:
Unetbootin just fails to make a persistence file regardless of the setting. I've not figured out what it does...it just doesn't make the persistence file for Navigatrix.

When Navigatrix boots from the stick there is a blue screen with 4 function keys listed <F1><F2><F3><F4> linked to menu options in various languages.

Select one.

Select "Other Options" in the menu that pops up.

Select Create 1/2/or 4GB Persistence File.

The rule of thumb is
  • 1- 4GB
  • 2- 8GB
  • 4- 16GB or larger

When that is grinding away, grab a quick beer; it takes a few minutes.

The system will boot when it is finished.

Modify your configuration file (one last time)...and Bob's your uncle.

Closer and closer :)

1. Now i have done it exactly as your videos by using XP.
2. I choose F1 - "more options" - "Create 1Gb Persistence file"
3. configure my touchpad + configure details in OpenCPN (so far everything is OK)
4. Boot / power off
5. Boot / power ON
6. I choose F1 - "more options" - "Create 1Gb Persistence file" (testing first WITH keyboard - before changing syslinux.cfg)
7. Navigatrix opens without calibrated touchpad or OpenCPN changes.

8. Also tried point 1-4 + syslinux changed to "fix1"
9. same result..

I have a ca. 4GB USB stick, with approx. 2,xGB Navigatrix + 1,59GB charts.
Can this be the problem?
Actually no free space to make a persistence file in addition?

When I have created 1 GB persistence USB, is it correct to open the "created 1 GB persistence USB" file when start up later as well?

Sorry, I was confusing two strategies. If you are using the navigatrix-setup.exe to create the LiveCD modifying the cfg file is unnecessary.

...but, by doing your Step 6...you are deleting the configuration file, a part of which you have just edited.

Using the navigatrix-setup.exe you have the persistence file. Recreating it starts you back at the beginning.

...and, yes, you probably don't have enough space on your USB. Most 4GB sticks are about 3.7GB. The system is over 2GB; add 1GB for the persistence overlay....3.somethingGBs.

Regardless, a new install, modified sudo medit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf before the addition of extra data should work.

If you fill it up and it doesn't work, you need a bigger stick.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024