The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: persistent memory ansd application installation

Hi,

Can someone tell me (on a usb drive system with persistent memory) when one installs a program (could be a large one), does the program get installed in the persistent memory? If so I think I will increase my persistent size. What is teh disadvantage of maximising the persistent memory? If home dir is in the persistent memory, we can always place everything in the home dir with multiple sub dirs, or have i got it wrong?

Cheers,
Ken.

Post subject: Re: persistent memory ansd application installation

This is an 8GB stick with 2GB persistence file (carper-rw).
Attachment:
Nx_new_pcmanfm_011.png
Nx_new_pcmanfm_011.png [ 127.95 KiB | Viewed 8747 times ]

The directories marked with red arrows are outside the persistence file. They will be written to if you have a persistence file or not. They are only limited by the space remaining after the system and persistence file take up what space they do.

All other directories are either in casper-rw or the squashfilesystem which is in the casper directory.
Code:
wadda@baboo:/media/wadda/NAVIGATRIX$ ls -lhR | grep -e "total\|:$"
.:
total 2.0G
./casper:
total 2.1G
./CHARTS:
total 16K
./CHARTS/bsb:
total 0
./CHARTS/cm93:
total 0
./CHARTS/enc:
total 0
./CHARTS/kap:
total 0
./DESKTOP:
total 16K
./DOCUMENTS:
total 0
./DOWNLOADS:
total 0
./GRIB:
total 0
./LIBRARY:
total 51M
./MUSIC:
total 4.0K
./MUSIC/playlists:
total 0
./PICTURES:
total 0
./preseed:
total 12K
./preseed/wvdial-conf:
total 24K
./syslinux:
total 272K
./tools:
total 4.0K
./tools/BootManager:
total 612K
./VIDEOS:
total 0
wadda@baboo:/media/wadda/NAVIGATRIX$
That means roughly 4 point something for the system and a larger persistence file and the rest is available for those directories marked with the arrows.

...about 3GB.

Thks Moe,
For a 16g usb drive, i guess 4g persistence is good; I read somewhere that is the largest file size u can create for a FAT32 system anyway. Can u create a Ext4 navigatrix?

Btw, there is a lot of talk in the internet that the usb drive only is not suitable to run as a system drive as it only have a limited write cycles, any truth in this?

Cheers,
Ken

True, true, and true.

I've not tried to repartition a stick to put in an EXT2 partition, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll try it.

I've also seen some hardware stress tests to find out how many read/write a USB will take before it craps out.

I found they last longer than I can keep a stick in my possession or out of the ocean.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024