The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Nx0.5May2014/Foxtrotgps

I could NOT resist downloading and installing the newest version of Nx, and am trying it out now on a Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook. I'd like to know how to add Foxtrotgps to the menu?
The only way I can load the program is via Terminal, and then typing "foxtrotgps". It does load, but was hoping to create an icon to load to the bottom window with other things.

Attachments:
File comment: Here is the Terminal
2014-06-16_210146_1024x768.png
2014-06-16_210146_1024x768.png [ 109.46 KiB | Viewed 9231 times ]

Post subject: Re: Nx0.5May2014/Foxtrotgps

Menu entries and 'shortcuts' use what are called desktop files.

There are a whole slug of them at /usr/share/applications/
Quote:
moe@fissionchips:~$ ls /usr/share/applications
abiword.desktop
adblock.desktop
Airmail3.desktop
apport-gtk.desktop.distrib
apturl.desktop
audacious.desktop
bamf-2.index
blueman-manager.desktop
calibre.desktop
celnav.desktop
dconf-editor.desktop
...etc.

Create a suitable file
Code:
sudo medit /usr/share/applications/foxtrotgps.desktop
and use one of the other files in the directory for a template, changing whatever you need to change. Like this fine example /usr/share/applications/celnav.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Celestial Navigation
Name[es]=Navegación Astronómica
Name[fr]=Navigation Céleste
Name[de]=Astronavigation
Comment=Celestial navigation for cruisers: electronic almanac and sight reduction
Comment[es]=Navegación astronómica para los navegantes: almanaque electrónica y la reducción de la vista
Comment[fr]=Navigation céleste pour les marins: almanach électronique et la réduction de la vue
Comment[de]=Astronavigation für Segler

Categories=Navigation;
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/local/bin/nxcn
Icon=/usr/local/share/icons/navtriangle.png
Terminal=false
For your own use it can be even more basic by eliminating the languages you don't use.

Place a copy of the file on your Desktop and it becomes a 'shortcut'.

Site Admin

FoxtrotGPS has a menu entry already. But its listed with its generic name. You should find it here: Manta->Navigaion->GPS and Map.

Can it get any easier?

Post subject: Re: Nx0.5June2014/Foxtrotgps

Moe, thank you for the tutorial, and pointing me back to the menu! I totally missed it, whew...I am getting younger every day. I am sitting here making extra usb copies for friends (pay it forward). When shutting down, the dialogue at the top mentions 14.04...does that mean this June version is using a new LTS version of Ubuntu? Not that it really matters, as long as everything works, right? I was just curious. I have a friend in Atlanta, GA that is having problems with a dual boot system (Win 7 & Ubuntu 14X), gps works in Windows but not in Ubuntu. I talked him re-configuring gpsd in Terminal with helps from your great posts, but no-go...So I mailed him a copy of Navigatrix to try. Hoping he has better luck, I never did like dual booting. At any rate, I think you guys have hit another Home Run, Thank you!

Four years ago, in the cockpit of David's boat, David was waxing philosophically, wine glass in hand, about systems becoming so enormous and complex that one person cannot understand it all. I forgot that FoxtrotGPS was already installed. The 14.04 is just text missed in re-branding. Navigatrix's rolling release continues with the best, solid code available even if there is a typo or two.

It's nice you send sticks to friends. In the current situation, downloading the navigatrix.iso is a pain, particularly if one also has time and power considerations.

If your friend continues to have problems with his gps, point him this way and we'll see what can be done.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024