The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: without a pactor.

i have read (on the internet) that i can use "flDigi 3.21.68 and jPSKMail 2.0.30 to send and receive eMails over SSB without a Pactor Modem."
is this true?
if so, is there a particular SSB that anyone recommends to make it all easy?
configuring the computers and buying stuff to move onto the boat in Oct.
thanks.
c

Post subject: Re: without a pactor.

Since no one has pick up this conversation, I'll inject my opinion as I just had a discussion with someone about this.

First, most, if not all PSK stuff, or soundcard modem transmissions are in the HAM range.

Second, if you don't have a 'well-rigged' boat, or the patience of a saint, you will slit your wrists.

There is a soundcard/modem protocol, "Winmor", that might be a life saver, but not yet.

I went through 3 SSB radios, a Yaesu 487, Icom M700, and Icom M710. I never enjoyed the nets, but I do like email and GRIBS.

However, the most reliable, cost effective solution I have found was a satellite phone and a USB cable.

It's not my favourite solution, but dollars for donuts, for me, it was the cheapest.

I used PSKmail in the carribean and on the eastern side of the Pacific a couple of years back. It is slower than Pactor 3. But it worked with a dead cheap soundcard interface. The setup wasn't easy, but with the new jPSKmail client (v 2.+) you don't need Fldigi anymore and this should make the whole proces a lot easier. In the Pacific there weren't any servers in reach, so we bought a Pactor modem in NZ. We spent about 800 USD used but we got email on board again. So I guess it was worth it. Try the PSKmail route first. In europe and in the US you should not have problems getting your connections and if you still thing it is too slow you only invested about 20 bucks for the sound card interface.

HTH,
Christian DL3ZFC

Site Admin

Ahh...now I know which Christian is behing zenfunk... Greetings to Thor from the ex-Namanis!

Of course, Greetings from Rodrigues.
How is Bavaria treating you all?

All the best to you, Nana and Nick,
Christian

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024