The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: How to backup whole disk, i.e. make a disk image

Not sure what program to use for this. My Seagate external hard drive has windoz software so that's out.

Also should I make a partition for it on the drive that is in ext4 or something. Think the ext hd is probably fat32.

Getting help before the disaster seems good at this point.

BTW the iso stick I used to install to my toughbook would not work with my other PC. Wouldn't give me option of installing alongside Win. In fact didn't even see Win. I made partitions as I ought but could not get it to go there and a format of one partition formated the WHOLE 500G drive in ext4. So after I had reinstalled Win (just in case) and make some nice partitions I tried my iso on a hard disk which points to a USB stick. Win thinks the USB stick (any) is a hard drive but I can't figure out where to mount it. Tried all four USB ports and it stills boots to windows.

Mostly I just wanted to say, as I'm sure has already become abundantly clear, the iso is changed by the install on a hard disk and will be a great go along key pal but not good for making another install perhaps. Wisdom! Insight! I need knowledge. Just banging around til I get it right is fun for a while but sooner or later I need help.

All is well with my install though and have settled it into my preferences. It is amazingly fast and stable.

Post subject: Re: How to backup whole disk, i.e. make a disk image
Site Admin

For a disk image you can go to the terminal and enter "sudo partimage". This is a good tool to make images of a complete partition. You may also like to save the partition table. This way you can copy it to a new hard drive. To do so use this commend "sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/path/to/partition_backup_file count=2048" where /dev/sda is the name of your source partition and /path/to/partition_backup_file the name of your backup file.

Post subject: Re: How to backup whole disk, i.e. make a disk image

Thank you. That's easy. Feel better that I didn't miss something obvious in NX which is still pretty new to me.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024