The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Install Navigatrix on old dell notebook no longer running XP

My Wifes Dell Inspiron notebook has lost or has a corrupted an Xp file and will not open xp. I have no xp disk to fix it with. I want to save it and use it running Navigatrix for myself. First I need to save her files. Can I put Navigatrix on a thumb drive and save her hard drive files to a thumb drive or hard drive and then install them in her new computer that I guess will have maybe Lime on it or whatever I decide will be the easiest for an Xp user to cope with. I am thinking since the machine and hard drive is old I will run it off a thumb drive and the old hard drive should last forever.
Thanks for any help folks it will be appreciaqted.

Post subject: Re: Install Navigatrix on old dell notebook no longer runnin
Site Admin

Quote:
Can I put Navigatrix on a thumb drive and save her hard drive files to a thumb drive or hard drive and then install them in her new computer

That should work. If you open the NX file manager after booting your wife's Dell from a USB stick, the existing Windows partitions should show up in the file manager's 'Places' panel on the left. Clicking on any of them them should mount the partition and make the files accessible in NX.

Depending on how the XP installation was set up you may see multiple partitions but it should be easy from their size which one has the data. Good luck!

Thanks very much it worked a charm. I still have a small problem. When connecting with Wifi to go on line I use a password and that is not a problem. Then I get a box wanting me to put in a password for key ring. First off I don't remeber ever giving Key ring a password and haven't been able to find a place to install one. I have a password for user and a password for my wifi conection. Niether works in key ring. I have as afar as I know never used key ring in ubuntu so OI think am mostly confused. Can you help me with this? Thanks

Site Admin

I'm a bit shaky on this myself, so perhaps someone else will chime in... here's what I believe to understand:

- The gnome-keyring runs in the background as a service to applications to store and retrieve passwords.

- You can see the keyring and the passwords stored on it if you go to Manta Menu -> Accessories -> PGP Encryption Keys which will open the Seahorse application. In Seahorse select By Keyring under View. If you see a "locked" symbol next to the Passwords - Default entry right-click on "Default" and select "unlock".

- By default, the password for the login/default keyring should be your login password (i.e. the one which you set during the NX installation). I don't know what it would be if you run NX from a USB stick.

- Normally the Default keyring will be unlocked when you log into NX unless the keyring password has been set to something different from the login password. It may also not become unlocked if you have NX configured to start without you having to enter login credentials.

If you don't have or don't remember a password that unlocks the Default keyring, I believe you can still delete the keyring in Seahorse and set-up a new one with a password of your choice (ideally identical to your login password).

You should also be able to simply "escape" the keyring password prompt away. As far as I know the network manager that handles the wifi connections keeps track of its WEP/WPA wifi passwords internally and shouldn't need the keyring service.

I hope the above isn't horribly wrong - a second opinion will be appreciated...

### EDIT ###: From looking at some Linux forums it seems that you should be able to delete the existing default keyring and the system will automatically create a new one during the next login (which apparently you can give an empty password. It does look though as if the network/wifi manager does need the keyring to store its passwords.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024