The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: can't find newly downloaded software

I can't live without a way to take screen shots of things on the desktop or webpage. Found a program called gnome-web-photo (0.10.6-1). Downloaded it from package manager and cannot find it on my NX to save my soul. Shows up nowhere in application listings and has no folder in /home/jan.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Post subject: Re: can't find newly downloaded software

Did you try in the Menu>Run>...?
I think there is a program named "screenshot" already loaded. T
The one I prefer is named "shutter".
I found it in the package manager.
Enjoy your Toughbook!

Did you try pressing the "print Screen" key on the keyboard? Normally this automatically should save a screenshot on your desktop.

Gee thanks for such speedy replies.

Shutter does indeed come up but is way more complex than I am looking for.

Screenshot the program works and so does pushing the screenshot button.

What I am hoping for is that little program from Windoz that looks like snippers (the icon) and gives you instantly a cross dot you can size as you want and then save the results. I learned about this in Linux Mint which had a fine one and I was relieved to find a substitute in W7.

I'm sure there is one here somewhere but so far no cigar. The screenshot will do of course but I like to shoot receipts and snippets. Would love to regain the capacity.

Again thanks for your help.

Jan

I'll keep looking but Shutter allows you to use a cross hair to size what you want, I usually just use the window or entire choice, it is available from the Ubuntu Software Center, here's a shot from my ToughBook

Attachments:
File comment: Shutter allows what you want, also entire screen or just the active window.
Workspaces_002.png
Workspaces_002.png [ 193.39 KiB | Viewed 11502 times ]

You have three choices, Entire screen, Window, or Selection (which allows you to size the shot)

Attachments:
File comment: You have 3 choices, could not be easier
Selection_003.png
Selection_003.png [ 24.97 KiB | Viewed 11500 times ]

Patience is a virtue I obviously need to cultivate more extensively. I looked again at Shutter, which is now in the accessories menu on my NX but I think I downloaded it from Package Manager. If it was there before I skimmed over it.

When I opened it with RUN it only gave me one skimpy box with no options. Looking now at the range of it's capacity and the icon which I finally found by putting it on the panel list, I'm pretty sure it is the one I loved in Mint.

I am so grateful for your help. This has been a major tool for me and to get it back is wonderful.

Glad this worked for you, us ToughBook enthusiests and Navigators are a great group, glad this worked for you!
Cleve

Thanks Cleve. Yeah. I had a CF-18 that I loved, probably where I got the bug. It was meant to be my nav computer which it was but I got tired of having so many computers! Three at one time. I'm finally really approaching leaving for much bigger water and wanted one computer that could take it if push came to shove. Will have to give it it's own safety harness! I am thrilled to have another TB, this time a CF-30. I thought about making it my sole nav box but I need the Raymarine to display the radar.

What do you have? Lots of the TB people have a list of them!

BTW my email is [email protected] if you want to jawbone about TBs.

Jan

growngfree wrote:
Patience is a virtue I obviously need to cultivate more extensively. I looked again at Shutter, which is now in the accessories menu on my NX but I think I downloaded it from Package Manager. If it was there before I skimmed over it.
When I opened it with RUN it only gave me one skimpy box with no options. Looking now at the range of it's capacity and the icon which I finally found by putting it on the panel list, I'm pretty sure it is the one I loved in Mint.
I am so grateful for your help. This has been a major tool for me and to get it back is wonderful.

Mint is great, however I stopped at 13 LTS. I used 14, 15, and 16 for awhile until I discovered Nx, while researching how to configure gpsd. No looking back now, I like "rolling releases" and stable and simple systems. I'm going through Nx, one program at a time and learning it. Currently I am researching the FAX program that loads JWX. Lot's to do.
Best regard and glad to meet you. Cleve

I'm thankful for my time first with Ubuntu and then after an interval with Mint. Stopped at 15. Too big a hassle to trade up.
I also like stable with gradual updates...I like your word "rolling."

I am way behind you. I just got here and news of NX just dropped out of the sky. New computer and new OS spells lots of setup and adjustment time. I am planning on working my way through as you are but based on what I need. Right now I am tearing my hair trying to make my first mind map to organize the rest of the self-boat-trip prep. GPS and chart integration with come soon and on from there. Be well.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024